[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - FMS landscapes from the beginning

FMS landscapes from the beginning

FMS landscapes from the beginning

Postby michaellown » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi everybody, I am new to the forum and I would like some help.

I would like to make a landscape of the field where I fly but I don't know where to start, I don't want photo realistic ( not yet ) but I would like something that looks right. Can someone help?

Where can I get the images I need??

Any help would be appreciated,

Michael
michaellown

Re: FMS landscapes from the beginning

Postby KEW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 am

Hi,

I made a landscape of my local flying field some years ago. I took a series of overlapping photos with a digital camera to form a panorama. It was quite a lot of work. It is not a photo-cube photo-realistic one but it worked out quite well. I still fly from it sometimes.

Once I know your depth of knowledge of FMS, I can help you to achieve what you want to do. Do you understand all of the programming parameters used to make a scene? If not, let me know because I have put together a manual explaining the functions of all the different commands along with some of their limitations.

Regards,

KEW
KEW

Postby michaellown » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 am

Hi KEW, Thanks for the reply.

Consider me a complete novice, a manual would be very helpful. I found a tutorial but its not aimed at beginners (how do you convert to .BMP, what programs do you need to use to make a landscape )

I may need a " use this program to do this, then you do this by doing that " kind of help

Thanks for your help

Michael
michaellown

Postby KEW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Michael,
I will send you a private message containing my e-mail. Once you contact me by e-mail, I can send you the manual. It is in Microsoft Word format.
The best way to start your own field is by making a new folder under "c:\Program Files\FMS\Landscape\". Call it My Field or some other meaningful name. This will keep all of the files you need in one place, and you will not mess up any of the existing scenes.
There are only two types of files you need to make a field:
Bitmaps (.bmp), which are the picture files you are using to make objects in the landscape.
A program file (.scn), which is used to arrange the objects in the right place.
If you are using picture files that are in other formats, e.g. .jpg, they need to be converted to .bmp. All you need to do is to load the .jpg in a graphic program such as Microsoft Paint, then "Save as" and select 256 color bitmap (*.bmp) into your working folder.
The scenery program file (.scn) can be opened and edited using Microsoft Notepad. You can save it the first time as a .txt file and then change the name of the file to a .scn.
More later when you have the manual and a million questions. If we use this forum for the questions and answers, other beginners may benefit by reading them.
Regards,
Keith
KEW

Postby phildc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Keith,

If you are willing to give advice in this forum, you could consider making your "manual" public.

Phil.
phildc

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:05 pm

There is a rather detailled and comprehensive tutorial included with , but it is written in german. Maybe an online service like translate.google.com will help?

Regards
TreeHugger

Postby michaellown » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Keith,

My first question, How can I get ground images of the field I want to model, would Google Earth be any good? What " altitude " should I get the pic from?

michael
michaellown

Postby KEW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi Treehugger,

I downloaded the FMS Tutorial and translated it using Google Translate. It did a pretty good job and I was able to correct most of the mis-translations. It is a very thorough manual and I learned a couple of things from it but it would be rather heavy going for an absolute beginner.

Thanks,
KEW
KEW

Postby KEW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Phildc,

I would be happy to make my manual available but don't know how. Any suggestions?

Regards,

KEW
KEW

Postby KEW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi Michael,

I am not familiar with all of the features of this program but you probably could use Google Earth to get the ground scenery. I don't know if it would also give you the contour information. If not, you need is a large scale contour map of the area you want to make into a scene if you want absolute accuracy.

My approach would be to stand in the middle of the area with a squared note pad and estimate the distance and elevation from your point of view of all of the major features in each direction, and draw them on the notepad using the squares for scale. This can then be translated freehand into a grey-scale bitmap image using a paint program. It only needs to be approximate to look authentic.

Regards,
Keith.
KEW

Postby michaellown » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Keith,

my field is coming along slowly but surely, only one question so far, how do I change a .txt to a .scn?
michaellown

Postby phildc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm

phildc

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm

TreeHugger

Postby michaellown » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks Treehugger. I figured it out seconds after I hit submit :wink:

I have made a test landscape using kews manual and some of his .bmp files but I keep getting:

ERROR: Floating point value expected at :

I have had this three times, what do I need to change at the specified line on the .scn file?
michaellown

Postby KEW » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 pm

The error message is probably caused by a syntax error. Check for a comma in place of a decimal, or a mis-spelled command.
The way to identify the exact location of the error is to narrow down on it by "half-splitting". Place an "END" statement half way through the program. If you still get the message, the error is in the first half. Move the "END" to the middle of the half with the error and try again. Keep doing this and you will quickly isolate the faulty line of code. If you identify the faulty line but can not debug it, show it to us in a message, with a couple of other lines before and after, and we will help.

You are making progress. Hang in there!

KEW
KEW

Next

Return to Landscapes