Windows 7 Pro 64 Problem

Windows 7 Pro 64 Problem

Postby RCFSnow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:47 pm

I skimmed thru the boards and didn't quite see anything like this, so forgive me if this is a rerun.

Im Snow from RC-Flyers.com , we're a hobby support group dedicated to beginners & innovators. FMS is our absolute favorite sim, we recommend it to everyone, so it's a kick in the jewels to have a brand new laptop that spits it out! :( lol

Like I said I've got Windows 7 Pro 64 which is one of the 2 versions out of 5 that DOES have XP mode, XP gaming is 100% compatible. I tried installing FMS 8.3 and 8.5 on this laptop now, and both give me the same error - D3DRM.dll is not loaded pops up onto the screen. Does anybody have any idea what thats all about?? It's annoying as hell.

I have to temporarily agree with the guy who said fix it by installing Clearview - sure, I tried it. I liked it too, BUT - I'm not about to spend $40 activating it, considering I can build a whole plane and just fly it for that price! haha :lol: please...

If anybody knows how to fix this, please give me a shout, I'd really appreciate it.

Snow
www.rc-flyers.com
RCFSnow

Re: Windows 7 Pro 64 Problem

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 pm

A simple search for "D3DRM.DLL" will find the answer.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby RCFSnow » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

ok i tried quite a few diff things-
- downloaded the dll zip file & extracted it into system32, didnt work
-extracted into syswow64, didnt work
-extracted into fms folder, didnt work
-installed the latest directX available right from microsoft, didnt help
-took a couple of the individual files out of the download folder and dropped it into the main fms folder, ALMOST worked! this time the game started but the graphics were jumpy and unviewable. couldnt even see the plane, just a severely blurred out shed & runway lol

so does that mean i need to download the zip file and put each of the extension utilities into the main fms folder manually? think this might work? in my opinion, it might be worth a shot because if it doesnt work, all i have to do it delete fms :p and no harm done to the computer...

i might just try that, but lemme kno what u think anyway, would ya? :) i really appreciate the help.

Snow
RCFSnow

Postby Burre » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 am

Hi,

You can try this:

1. Open control panel (in classic mode) and choose Add new hardware.
2. Click Next, then "Yes, I've already attached the new hardware", then Next again.
3. Scroll down to the bottom, click "Add new hardware" (or something similar), then click Next.
4. "Choose manually from a list", then click Next.
5. Choose Ports (COM & LPT), click Next.
6. In the left part, choose (Standard port types), in the right part, choose Communications port. Click Next and then Next again.
7. You'll get a message saying the device is installed but may not be working. (Obviously since we really didn't add any hardware.) Click Finish.
8. Open the device manager by holding down the Windows logo key and pressing the Break button on your keyboard. Select the Hardware (or is it Devices?) tab and then click the button Device manager.
9. Scroll down to Ports (COM & LPT) and expand it. You should now see a Communications port with a yellow and black ! on it. In parenthesis it should say the number this Com-port now has in your system. For me it is (COM4).
10. Open up notepad (or your favourit text editor). And paste in the following:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM]
"\\Device\\Serial0"="COM4"

Then replace the COM4 at the end with your Com-ports number like "COM1" if it should differ.
11. Save the file as fms_com_port_fix.reg on your desktop (or wherever you like).
12. Go to your desktop and double-click the file. Approve any security warnings your system may give you.

That should be it, FMS should now start for you.

find: d3drm.dll
Put this in your main FMS file

I have no problem using FMS with Windows 7
Burre

Postby syndony » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:29 pm

unable to install windows 7 pro 64-bit as dual boot
currently running windows vista home premium 32-bit
error:
"we are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only"

I am using a new partition on a second hard drive
i downloaded the windows 7 software from the website (microsoft student offer), and saved it to a new partition (brand new, and has been formatted...232gb)

i have;
- checked and changed permissions on folders in the new partition (k:\)
- downloaded the windows 7 files twice but get the same problem
- run installer using; right click > run as administrator
- tried to run it from my desktop and the new partition
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce.
syndony

Postby BacardiMan88 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Worked perfect. thank you.

I will post an easier way to do this later but this was a very nice tutorial. (lunch break is over) :)
BacardiMan88

Postby RCFSnow » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:11 pm

ok slight problem - i dont know how to change modes in 7 pro 64, suggestions?
RCFSnow

Return to Windows-Version