Vista/Nvidia/Flickering

Vista/Nvidia/Flickering

Postby Silvaa » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:49 am

Can anyone point me to a download of a photo realistic Landscape that works in Vista/Nvidia system, I just want a working example as I am either too stupid to work out what people on this forum are suggesting or there is a separate issue with my system causing flicker at top and on the model unless I turn Texture off.
Silvaa

Re: Vista/Nvidia/Flickering

Postby rawhide85 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I also have the same problem. Upon launching the program, the whole screen is greyed out and flickering. I have installed the missing DLL file in system32 and still no luck.
System info:
Dell 9300 Intel 2Ghz
2GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 256 MB GPU
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
rawhide85

Postby williamc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:00 am

YEP!!! i have the same problem, flickering and I installed the Dll as described.. now what?? anyone out there can help us out?
williamc

Postby Viroslav » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:01 pm

I can tell you my not-good-but-works solution (in a dell 1330 laptop with W7 64 bits with Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS):
- Go to Device Manager and install for the graphics card the standard VGA.
- Use FMS in a window, not full screen (Resolution->window)
You can always revert to the default driver in less than 1 minute. The only significant effect is a reduction of the frames per second by a factor of 2 (as compared with a gray screen, so not sure if the comparison is fair :P )
As I told is not properly a solution but a workarround, but is the only way I found
Hope it helps
Viroslav
Viroslav

Postby bedbug » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 am

Oh Boy,

I thought I was the only sucker with this problem. I've tried everything for the past 2 years to get FMS working. Iwas told it was a problem with my NVidea graphics card But I'm not taking a very expensive card out of my computer for a flight sim. Everything else works well. I run all flight sims in flat out mode with everything switched to maximum and no problems. I can use FMS but only if I want it looking like a 1970s DOS program by switching everything to low res. I've got over 1000 planes for it as well which makes me mad. The DLL trick didn't work either Sniff.
bedbug

Postby FreeFlier » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Bedbug, and others, there is a solution to the flickering issue with FMS and Nvidia graphics - see this link:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/f ... =12&t=5867

This does work, though it's somewhat annoying to complete successfully - stay with it - follow the instructions carefully. I believe this will also work with Vista.

I had been trying to get FMS to work on my W7 64 bit machine for a year before finding the above solution. While it did solve the flickering, it also brought my framerates down to 6-12 fps, which is a slide show. Tried to solve that new issue for several days, and then gave up on FMS on that machine. Normally I'd have had 60fps with FMS on any computer. The other eight sims on that machine - top pay sims and freeware - anywhere from 60 to 1600 fps. No idea why!

Also, look at RC Desk Pilot - new and free, and Clearview $40.00, but well developed and continuously being updated.

Good luck

Stew
FreeFlier

Return to Windows-Version