FMS won't run

FMS won't run

Postby kobuki01 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:03 pm

I just installed FMS and it won't run. It would just crash and give me the typical error report of windows. It doesn't show any other message.
Any suggestions?
kobuki01

Re: FMS won't run

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

What operating system are you using, what version of FMS is it and which particular one of the hundreds of Windows error messages do you get ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby neubie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:27 pm

i am using windows 7 and i cant get fms to run. i followed all the advice i read and it still doesnt work. i updated the computer an i cant get it to work. help me
neubie

Postby Steve Lewin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 am

You'll need to be a bit more specific than "tried everything and it still doesn't run". Which FMS version and what EXACTLY does it do when you try to run it ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby neubie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:21 pm

i read this: Do the following:

If the VISTA PC has no COM port, FMS will not start.

To solve the problem a "vitual" communications port (COM port) must be installed

1. Click on the Windows [START] button, then double-click "Control panel".

2. Double-click on [Hardware]. The wizzard is launched. Click on [Next]. The search process starts and will take some time.

3. Mark "Yes, I have already connected the hardware."
Then click [Next].

4. Scroll fully down and select "Add a new hardware device."
Then click [Next].

5. Mark "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list."
Then click [Next].

6. Select "Ports (COM & LPT).
Then click [Next].

7. In the left-hand window select "Standard port type", in the right-hand window selectt "Communications port".
Then click [Next].

8. Then click [Next] again and then [Finish].

9. In the Control panel double-click [System], select the register Hardware and click [Device manager].

10. Scroll down to "Ports (COM & LPT)" and expand by double-clicking on "Ports (COM & LPT)".

11. Now you should see the installed communications port marked with a yellow sign containing an exclamation mark
(eg. Communications port (COM4)).

12. Open the Note pad program and enter the text below between, but not including, the dashed lines:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM]
"\\Device\\Serial0"="COM1"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Replace the figure "1" behind COM by the one, you found in step 11.

13. Store the file as "FMS-COM-Port-Fix.reg" on the desktop.

14. Double-click the icon on the desktop and confirm the appearing questions by clicking [OK].

15. Copy the file "d3dm.dll" into the FMS program directory.

Now the virtual communication port should be installed and FMS will start.

when i got to step 5 it didnt even register that i had the simulator plugged in.
neubie

Postby ggunners » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 am

What are you calling the simulator that you are plugging in. Is it a transmitter with a USB port?

If so, which one, Dynam, Esky...?

FMS is software, if you received a disk with your USB transmitter, then you installed the software from the disk. From our experience, it is usually the wrong version of the FMS software. You should install FMS 2 alpha 8.5. Get it at the FMS download page.

The list of items you show is only if you have problems with FMS crashing. It solves an Ecomport error and a missing d3drm.dll error. If you don't have those errors, the list of steps does not apply in your case.

It is a bit PC technical to get FMS working these days. Do you have a PC technical friend that can help?

-- ggunners
ggunners

Return to Windows-Version