[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Windows Vista 64bit controller and FMS

Windows Vista 64bit controller and FMS

Windows Vista 64bit controller and FMS

Postby SuEnRoD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:53 am

Hi,
I'm getting VERY confused by what will, and will not work with Vista 64bit.
64Bit drivers are a pain to get for most inexpensive computer devices. It seems the companies don't want to write 64 bit drivers
for older devices. (and even newer ones for that matter)

I have a Dell 1737 computer that should meet all of the computing needs but,
What controller/software, sutable for fixed wing and heli simulating will work with Windows Vista 64 Bit???? (not 32 bit)

I would prefer a controller that does not require batteries. (IE...I prefer it to be powered from the USB connection)
I can live with it if it takes batteries, but running from power supplied from the USB port would be better for me.

I was looking at the following unit but I asked the seller if it would work with 64bit Vista and was told it won't work.

I'm not interested in the Great planes version due to the cost.

Any info would be appreciated very much!!

Thanks,
Rod
SuEnRoD

Re: Windows Vista 64bit controller and FMS

Postby ggunners » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm

FMS only supports 4 channels. So, an inexpensive USB dummy transmitter for $20 like the Esky will work just fine. If you want a RC game controller that will work with other RC sims that support more channels, then buy a 6 channel version for between $20-$40. All should work with any Windows machine that recognizes analog joysticks on the USB port.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby SuEnRoD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks ggunners,
I used to fly RC a few years ago but it's all been sitting collecting dust for a while now. I just wanted to get a sim to re-train a bit before taking any real planes out again.

By my own experiance with other items I own, 64Bit Vista is a **pain** to get working, if you can at all. Drivers being the MAJOR problem. I just don't want to order an RC joystick and not be able to get it to work with 64bit Vista.

I might just get one and cross my fingers:)

P.S. Thanks for the 4ch tip. I wasen't aware of that.

Thanks,
Rod
SuEnRoD

Postby SuEnRoD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Well...
I just purchased this one.

Got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that I can make it work. :D

Rod
SuEnRoD

Postby SuEnRoD » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Just an update.....
Got the controller today and it works fantastic even on Vista 64bit!
Useing FMS 2.0 beta 7
No problems with drivers, .dll's or anything. Not even running in admin mode.

I didn't install the version that was provided with the controller. I am useing the version I downloaded here. (FMS 2.0 beta 7)

I haven't gotten the alpha 8.5 version of FMS to work but what advantages does the 8.5 version have over the 2.0 beta 7 version anyway?

Great to be able to practice again. Maybe I will retrain my thumbs in a few days.
Doing good so far. Only a few dumb thumb crashes:-)
Thanks,
Rod
SuEnRoD

Postby ggunners » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:46 am

FMS 2.8.5 provides better ground handling, 3 wheels, wind, a much better flight model and multiple collision points.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby SuEnRoD » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:49 am

Thank ggunner
Guess I will have to work on getting it running:)
SuEnRoD

Postby SuEnRoD » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:14 pm

That was easy!

I followed these instructions I found on the forum. Sorry, I don't remember who posted it but, THANK YOU whoever you are :D

It was the "no com port" problem for me. No problem with the dll.

The only thing I would add to the instructions is...
After you run the text file you made, you can delete it.

FMS 2.0 Alpha 8.5 is running great now!
Just need to download some slow flier planes:)

***********************************************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************************************

If the VISTA PC has no COM port, FMS will not start.

To solve the problem a "vitual" communications port (COM port) must be installed

1. Click on the Windows [START] button, then double-click "Control panel".

2. Double-click on [Hardware]. The wizzard is launched. Click on [Next]. The search process starts and will take some time.

3. Mark "Yes, I have already connected the hardware."
Then click [Next].

4. Scroll fully down and select "Add a new hardware device."
Then click [Next].

5. Mark "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list."
Then click [Next].

6. Select "Ports (COM & LPT).
Then click [Next].

7. In the left-hand window select "Standard port type", in the right-hand window selectt "Communications port".
Then click [Next].

8. Then click [Next] again and then [Finish].

9. In the Control panel double-click [System], select the register Hardware and click [Device manager].

10. Scroll down to "Ports (COM & LPT)" and expand by double-clicking on "Ports (COM & LPT)".

11. Now you should see the installed communications port marked with a yellow sign containing an exclamation mark
(eg. Communications port (COM4)).

12. Open the Note pad program and enter the text below between, but not including, the dashed lines:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM]
"\\Device\\Serial0"="COM1"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Replace the figure "1" behind COM by the one, you found in step 11.

13. Store the file as "FMS-COM-Port-Fix.reg" on the desktop.

14. Double-click the icon on the desktop and confirm the appearing questions by clicking [OK].

15. Copy the file "d3dm.dll" into the FMS program directory.

Now the virtual communication port should be installed and FMS will start.
SuEnRoD

Return to Windows-Version