Error Message When Installing FMS in XP

Error Message When Installing FMS in XP

Postby Rallyo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 am

After installing FMS, both from the CD and downloading the version that's supposed to work with XP from the internet, I get the following message:
"FMS has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
I have removed and re-installed it six times, with the same result. I'm running XP sp3 and Norton Antivirus.
What am I doing wrong?
Cheers
Rallyo
Rallyo

Re: Error Message When Installing FMS in XP

Postby ggunners » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 am

I am guessing that your computer does not have a COM1 serial port. So, you need one. A lot of newer computers do not have the older serial ports. So you need a virtual one or a USB to serial 9-pin to start. There are some other posts talking about the ecomport error that have more details.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Rallyo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 pm

The "transmitter" has a USB plug on it. there is no serial connector or port.
Rallyo

Postby ggunners » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, I know. However, the FMS software needs a serial port defined on your computer or it will not start and gives an error message.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Rallyo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 pm

I installed it on my older computer, also XP, but an older model, and it installed immediately, with no problem. I had to uninstall and re-install it to reverse all the controls (using "INV"). Does "EXP" give exponential or low rate equivalent?
For future reference, how and where do you define or identify a serial port for this transmitter?
Thanks for your help!
Rallyo

Postby ggunners » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 am

The serial port is not for the transmitter, it is for FMS which needs a serial COM port to start. Most newer computers do not have a serial COM port anymore. So, you need to create a virtual one. There are some instructions on the forum. You will need to search for them.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Return to Windows-Version