Fix Found! FMS on NVidia for Win7/Vista

Re: Fix Found! FMS on NVidia for Win7/Vista

Postby 413flyer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:38 pm

i just installed different scenery that used he six pictures and works fine for me on there now using vista and a nvida card
413flyer

Postby JoeDokes » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Justin,
Thank you. It solved my Win XP Pro problem. :D
JoeDokes

Postby ggunners » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello all,

Alas I have joined the Nvidia flicker crowd after upgrading from XP to Win8.

The above fix does work to stop the flickering, however, I have a 9 fps frame rate
which is not good enough to have a decent sim experience. I will continue to
search for another fix and let you know if I find any.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Duster » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:42 pm

I just finished stumbling through jkirk's post about the flickering screen when used with Windows Vista. It must have taken him a long time almost four years ago to put that post together in prospective and I have to commend him for a NEWBIE like me to actually get through it. It did stop the flickering screen when running the FMS Simulator and I can fly planes but I still have no landscape, just green patches of squares. I did notice my fps rate was fluctuating between 22 and 36. Have no clue as to why!

However, when you check the Mode Box there is no XP SP3 so I used XP SP2. There is also no "Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation" to check off in the lower selection box. Other then that, everything fits the instructions. To those that did get a Landscape selection, your lucky! I don't know why I can't get any but after getting this far I'll have to be satisfied for a while. Maybe someone will read this post (almost a year later) and come up with another 'fix'.
........N O R T H S T A R.............I L L U S I O N S.........
Duster

Postby ggunners » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:46 am

Make sure you try both types of landscapes. There are 3D landscapes and photo-realistic landscapes. It's possible you may be able to use one over the other as they use different display methods. -- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Duster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:27 pm

When FMS is running I have 17 landscapes within the drop down landscape menu at the top. Inside the FMS Program Folder within the landscape folder are 82 files. How do I tell the photo-realistic landscapes from the 3-D landscapes?
Duster

Postby ggunners » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:04 pm

There are several links to photo-realistic sceneries in the the Landscape section of the Forum. -- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Duster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:29 am

Thanks for the site info. I downloaded Thunderbolt model and Elkwater landscape. Elkwater works fine in 32 bit with Mipmapping on along with Smooth Textures and Textures checked off. However the model has a square paremeter around it and still blinks. It works with the controller but the flickering is terrible. When I click on any of the dropdown menu's at the top, the flickering stops but the controller doesn't work. Any ideas? How did you make out with your flickering problem?
Duster

Postby ggunners » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:54 pm

I caved and got an AMD board. I know, not a solution for everyone.
ggunners

Postby Duster » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Ok, I haven't a clue as to what an AMD board is but I take it you couldn't control the flickering either?
Would there be any logical reason why I have 13 Landscapes in the folder and 18 Landscapes in the drop down menu at the top of the game? Then i have 16 models in the folder with many folders pertaining to the same plane but only 9 models in the drop down menu at the top of the game? I have not (even tried) added any models or landscapes to FMS. Is there any chance there might be a fix for the flickering models? I have one landscape that works normal.
Duster

Postby ggunners » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:25 pm

I only use 2 scenery files. A slightly modified world.scn and a photo version of a gymnasium for micro flyers. I've tried other photo sceneries too, but world is most comfortable for me. The AMD card is a video card. Assuuming you have a desktop, an AMD video card can be had for $50 - $100. As I am not a big gamer, the AMD/ATI card works better than Nvidia.
ggunners

Postby Duster » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for the information. That little bit explains a lot. You say your not a big gamer but your 'fingerprints' are all over this forum explaining a lot of things to a lot of people. I should be so 'ignorant'! Yes, I have a desk top.
Duster

Тема

Postby Komuremnko » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:14 am

Читаю и чувствую себя как дома. Спасибо создателям за хороший ресурс!
Komuremnko

Postby ggunners » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Komuremnko, This is an English language forum. Please use English or Google Translate to post to the site. Thank you. -- ggunners

Russian:
Читаю и чувствую себя как дома. Спасибо создателям за хороший ресурс!
English by Google:
I read and feel at home. Thanks the creators for a good resource!
ggunners

Previous

Return to Windows-Version