[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Fix Found! FMS on NVidia for Win7/Vista

Fix Found! FMS on NVidia for Win7/Vista

Fix Found! FMS on NVidia for Win7/Vista

Postby jkirk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Ok... so this isn't perhaps the easiest fix to install, but I'm not really sure of a good way to package it.

We all know we can get FMS to run on WinXP, but our Vista and Win7 machines with NVidia graphics suffer from nasty flickering. So here's the fix...

Download the Application Compatibility Toolkit from .

After installing the toolkit, run the Compatibility Administrator from the Toolkit's program group. (64bit users should run the 32bit version of the Administrator)

Click the Fix icon on the toolbar, name the fix and browse to your FMS.exe file.

After clicking Next, check the mode checkbox and select Windows XP SP3 from the dropdown. Then check the following boxes in the lower selection box:
ForceDxSetupSuccess
Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation
WinXPSP3VersionLie

Now click Next, Next, Finish.

Click Save on the toolbar, and save the database with an obvious name to your FMS folder or Documents folder.

Finally, exit any running copies of FMS, then click Install on the File menu.

Now you can run FMS. Under Graphics select 32bit and make sure Mipmapping is turned on. You can enable Fog, Smooth Textures and Textures.

This works with all 8.5 compatible textures that I've tested.

Fly often friends... without the seizures this time!

Justin
jkirk

Re: Fix Found! FMS on NVidia for Win7/Vista

Postby ggunners » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Justin, thanks so much for finding a fix. Everyone has been frustrated with the flickering screen since Vista rolled into our lives.

Awesome work dude!

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby dorsetsi » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Great work jkirk, but I am struggling to apply this fix :(

When I launch the Compatibility Administrator, I can follow your guide fine until I choose the mode: the is no Windows XP SP3 in the dropdown, only Windows XP SP1 & SP22. I have tried SP2, but two of the compatibility modes you state are not present in the checklist. Weird...any ideas?
dorsetsi

Postby jkirk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:24 pm

XP SP2 should be sufficient. After selecting this hit Next. You should find the DirectDraw Emulation option in the next screen, which is the most essential. What OS version are you using?
jkirk

Postby airforceguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 am

layer_forcedirectdrawemulation does not exist on the first list, however forcedirectdrawemulation does exist on the second list but not with the layer_ in front of it. used this method to fix it and its a no go still have no textures on it. i have nvidia fx 5950 ultra
airforceguy

Postby cmdl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 am

I registered to say Thanks. This fix works - others I found online didn't.
cmdl

Postby JohnNevets » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:44 pm

I also will echo a thanks. This worked first time. Where (probably due to user error) none of the fixes involving changing resolution did.

Is there anyway to add this info to the FAQ, or make it a sticky on this forum?

I will say, I missed the "install" step the first time, causing it to stop working. After a reread, and finding my mistake, it worked like a charm.

Now I just have to get FMS to recognize my USB controller (another post), and I should be all set

Thanks again,

John

Dang, got bit by the time out again, how short is that?
JohnNevets

Postby vfrjohn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 am

FYI - It appears this procedure must be done with Administrator privilege.
I tried doing it under my normal non-admin account and failed; logged into an admin account and it worked.

Kudos to Justin!

Cheers.
John in Texas
vfrjohn

Postby vfrjohn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 am

Now that I've run FMS on my Windows 8 Developer Preview system, using an NVIDIA 8400GS card, I've noticed the frame rate seems to be low - something like 15 fps.
That seems odd, with a quad core cpu and a graphics processor on board.
Any ideas why it would draw so slowly?
Thanks,
John inTX
vfrjohn

Postby Smoke » Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 am

Hey a fix that actually works that I could install. Great job! Question though . How do you get the airplanes to work?
Smoke

Postby ggunners » Tue May 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Use FMS 2 alpha 8.5 and unzip the models to the \FMS \Model directory. -- ggunners
ggunners

Postby udewey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:19 am

I have tried to install the Application Compatability toolkit, but it requires access to an SQL server. Is this typical? I tried to install MS SQL Express, but it ran into a snag and won't happen. Is there any way around this?
udewey

Postby udewey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 am

Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong thing. I should have went to the folder in the Start menu folder. Works perfectly!
udewey

Postby 413flyer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi i just installed the compatibility program i also only see xp service pack 2 im running vista 32 bit i clicked:

ForceDxSetupSuccess
WinXPSP2VersionLie

on the second screen i see force directdaw emulation

also on the second screen there are like 10 other things already pre selected for me?? please help i think this is such a great free product.

thank you in advance
413flyer

Postby ggunners » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Hello all,

Alas, I have joined the NVidia flicker crowd after upgrading from XP to Win8.

The above fix does work, but on my computer I have a 9 fps frame rate which
is not sufficient for a good sim experience. I will continue to experiment and
see if something else will help fix this issue.

-- ggunners

Update 7th Jan 2003: I am now running at 18 fps which is adequate,
turning off mip-mapping helped a lot. Then turned off "Fog" and "Smooth Textures".
Will continue to try other fixes too. It would be great to get to 30 fps or better.
ggunners

Next

Return to Windows-Version