severe performance issue win 7 & nvidia

severe performance issue win 7 & nvidia

Postby aarongreen123 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:26 pm

I have a 256mb nvidia quadro nvs 160m graphics card, in a laptop with a 2.8ghz centrino, with 4gb of memory. seems like there should be no issue with hardware but when i install 8.5 and leave textures, fog, and smoothing on i get about 4 fps tops. i have searched this forum and tried all the fixes that i came across, note i have no issues with flickering. has to be some sort of setting with this graphics card. anyone have any similar experiences or can think of something i did wrong or missed completely?
aarongreen123

Re: severe performance issue win 7 & nvidia

Postby ggunners » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm

I have no experience. Still running XP on my machines. Maybe run as XP would work better. Also, try checking into including the d3drm.dll in the FMS folder and make sure FMS is not in the C:\Program Files directory. There are other tricks to getting old software to run with new OS's. You'll need to search around.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Re: severe performance issue win 7 & nvidia

Postby FreeFlier » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Same low frame rate - 8-14fps - issue with my W7 64bit install - FMS v8.5; same also with FMS v7. I'm running a new I7-960 processor, overclocked to 4.23GB, with loads of memory, with eight other RC sims and FSX, and they all run with great frame rates. All the sims are on a SSD, which makes loading of everything fast, but unfortunately has no effect on graphic frame rates.

Had to use the compatibility fix to get rid of the flashing, but the frame rate issue creates a virtual slide show, making FMS just about unusable. I've run FMS on earlier windows versions with at least 60 fps (2000 and XP pro 32bit), so this situation is puzzling, but, then again, so was the flashing problem.

I've not yet tried the virtual XP OS available in this W7version, but that has been reported to have issues with FMS, as well as other applications.

After spending more than a week trying everything I could think of I've put FMS on the shelf for now; it is however running well on my work machine - XP pro 32bit, but the urge to make it work on all the computers in the house is almost overpowering - so frustration is in full swing; back to this dilemma soon.

To the wonderful Justin (jkirk) goes kudos for discovering/developing the compatibility fix: would you consider please giving this issue a try!

Cheers to all.

Stew
FreeFlier

Return to Windows-Version