[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Thrust Vectoring

Thrust Vectoring

Thrust Vectoring

Postby MileHiFlight » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:29 am

My son and I just maidened our first thrust vectoring pushers, an RCPowers Mig-29 and a JetSet44's F/A-22 Raptor. Chopping throttle in a
high alpha turn is un-nerving. This is going to take some practice to get used to.

Any way to add pusher thrust vector support to the simulator? Should "just" :roll: be adding a term to the flight pitch equation of throttle times elevator deflection times a fudge coefficient....this would be so totally COOL! 8)
MileHiFlight

Postby ggunners » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:57 pm

I've found that extreme elevator acts much like thrust-vectoring in FMS.

Checkout the YardBird planes on my .

Another way to do it is to mix the throttle with the elevator using the MIXER. Someone else did that with another airplane. I'll see if I can find it.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby MileHiFlight » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:21 am

I agree your YardBird Mig-29 is very thrust vector like. I was surprised. Any idea what parameter is making this happen? How close is it to the real model? I've flown the RCPowers Mig-29 once now, but it seems that the thrust vectoring can cause more radical direction changes when flying at low speed than the simulation is capable of.

Let me know if you come up with a recipie for the mix. Seems like we have to find a way to multiply throttle times +/- elevator deflection. I am not sure how to get that from a linear mix. It'd be a quick software hack.
MileHiFlight

Postby ggunners » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:29 pm

Yup, put 45 degree deflection on the elevator. That did it.

Try some more if you like but watch out for tip stalls.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Thrust Vectoring For REAL!

Postby MileHiFlight » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Take the two motors in the model and place them at angles for max up and down thrust deflection. Hack open source SmartPropoPlus to remix thrust and elevator deflection onto channels 3 & 4 to drive each motor. Could use trig or just a simple multiply elevator deflection plus offset times thrust.
MileHiFlight

WE HAVE REAL THRUST VECTORING!!!!

Postby MileHiFlight » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 am

It is kind of a hack. I am doing a multiplier mix in the SmartPropro code to drive two independent motors with different offsets and thrust angles in a par file. Now I can crash just like the real deal. It is very very cool. Right now the hack only supports JR/elevator/aileron/throttle.
MileHiFlight

Postby ggunners » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:24 pm

You should be able to create 2 additional motors one 45 degrees up (ch5) and one 45 degrees down (ch6) and mix the throttle of each motor with the elevator position (ch1). I will have to experiment to get that to work.

Hmmmm.... maybe we only need the 2 motors, at zero postion elevator, their combined thrust should be straight forward.

- ggunners
ggunners

Re: Thrust Vectoring

Postby robin78 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:22 am

I'm new to RC Models and posting on forums. So this may sound rather stupid but here goes anyway. I don't understand why the settings for the most common controllers aren't the FIRST listing in the FAQs. Getting the FMS and enabling the Vista missing dll are all well-documented but after that, this website seems to be about it. And you have to search the forum to get the answers to get the controllers working. Why not have it listed as most common controller settings. I also didn't realize for about an hour that the Control Panel in Windows has to be set too. Put that in the FAQs too! Don't make newbies work so hard to figure this out.
robin
robin78

Return to Comments and Suggestions