[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Linux/GL version? - a Linux port of FMS, anyone interested?

Linux/GL version? - a Linux port of FMS, anyone interested?

Postby serge » Thu Feb 22, 2001 3:37 pm

I am impressed with FMS. The only problem is that I have to switch to windows to use it.

I guess it is using openGL for 3D (am I wrong?)
In this case, it should be possible to port it to Linux..
Tasks:
- GL code port should be straightforward
- windowing system port (gtk for example)
- sound code port
- input system port: linux joystick support and/or parallel interface
I am ready to volunteer.
Anyone else interested in this port?
serge

Postby Jeff Knickelbein » Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:40 pm

I am interested in a Linux port of the program. I think Linux is far more stable than Windows. If you need help with writing code I could help there as well. I haven't programmed in the Linux environment yet, but I am keen to get started.
Jeff Knickelbein[br]Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights made an aeroplane.
Jeff Knickelbein

Postby Alban » Wed Feb 28, 2001 5:35 pm

I find it is a very good idea to make a Linux version of FMS.
I am very impressed too with the software.
Alban

Postby Hrothgar » Thu Apr 05, 2001 7:25 pm

I too would be very interested in a GL/Linux port, or better yet, an open sourced FMS. I would really like to see an open source R/C flight sim, and FMS looks like a good candidate. :)
Hrothgar

Postby Michael_Moeller » Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:31 pm

Thank you for the offer to help with a Linux port of the fms. The problem ist, that the fms isn't using openGL, we have done all 3D graphics with DirectX. Another thing is that it is still very hard sometimes to get hardware acceleration to work on Linux with some cards (for example my rage 128). Though at the moment there are no plans to port it to Linux, but we will keep this in mind, perhaps later.

Michael Möller
Michael_Moeller

Postby norris » Tue May 22, 2001 9:17 pm

You might want to talk to the guys at Loki (www.lokigames.com). They are using a library called SDL that, from what I hear, makes it fairly easy to port Direct X software.
norris

Postby Hrothgar » Wed May 30, 2001 4:38 am

norris:
SDL is only part of the entire solution. SDL's input and sound functionality would replace DirectInput and DirectSound (and maybe some other parts of DirectX i'm not familar with), but you still have to deal with Direct3D. SDL will only give you a GL context, so you still have port to GL.

Michael:
3D support in Linux has greatly improved in the past 6-12 months. The Rage128 chipset should have solid support in the latest XFree86 version. Give one of the latest SuSE versions another try.
Anyway, thanks for the response. Maybe one of these days we'll be able to run FMS on any operating system.
Hrothgar

Postby norris » Wed Jun 13, 2001 6:39 pm

Ahh. Well you learn something new everyday..

So I did a quick search and found [url=http://www.transgaming.com/.

They]http://www.transgaming.com/.

They[/url] are improving Wine to have a " implementation of the Microsoft® DirectX® multimedia APIs on Linux."

FMS is the last reason for having The Windows Gaming OS (that's all it's good for) on my box.
norris

Postby bsergeev » Thu Jun 14, 2001 3:35 pm

What about using our collective skills to improve FMS on Wintel platform?
I, C++ developer with a Dassault group company, would be glad to help in getting rid of those pesky initialization errors (when you save configuration with a plane different from Su-26).
Is FMS written in C++? I saw some Delphi mention in the code.
Boris
bsergeev

Postby Michael_Moeller » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:43 pm

I finally got 3D support for my Rage 128 to work with RedHat 7.1, you were right, with newer releases it's much easier.

If DirectX is integrated into Wine this is certainly a great thing, but for the fms this will most certainly not help (at the moment): Direct3D is a huge package, and most commercial games use Direct3D IM, FMS uses the Retained Mode (D3DRM) of DirectX. I don't think the D3DRM will run soon on Wine.

As we see it, the best solution for porting FMS to Linux, is using Borland Kylix (Delphi for Linux). The FMS is written completely in Borland Delphi and Borland Kylix is said to be more less compatible with Delphi. The only remaining problems are 3D acceleration (currently DirectX) and interface communication.

Making the FMS Open Source is one of the things we are still thinking about. The init-erros were just a misteak in the last minutes (everything had to go fast) of the Beta 6's release, we hope to fix the it with beta 7.

Michael Möller
Michael_Moeller

Postby norris » Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:28 pm

Well with this downturn of the industry I'm all the sudden finding I have some time on my hands. ;-)

Although I'm not a C guru (I do more sys. admin than anything), I do think it would be worth wild to improve FMS by porting it Linux. I've always wanted to get my hands wet with OpenGL. So if you are considering Open Sourceing or just getting some developers together to do a Linux port, count me in. I wonder though how many RC'ers are Linux users...
norris

Postby superphd » Sun Jul 29, 2001 8:59 am

yeah, open source will be great!! I really want to improve the code with more features as well..
superphd

Postby Greg Montgomery » Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:32 pm

I would be very interested in a Linux Port. I spend most of my time in Linux, or on the Mac Platform, using Mac OSX which is based on Unix Free BSD. I think you would be surprised how many Mac users would be very excited about a Linux version, especially if they could get it to run on the Mac OS X or Free BSD platform, which, shouldn't be too hard.

As for me, I would love to see any kind of a Linux option.

Thanks for the great program.

Greg
Greg Montgomery

Postby killekulla » Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:40 pm

A port to linux would be great, Everytime I have to switch to windows :-(

But then I suggest a rewrite with use of OpenGL: It could be available for nearly every platform.
Or, if that is impossible, a modular konzept: a simulation core with an interchangeable 3d-engine.

if you need help I can lend a hand.

( sorry for my bad english *g* )
killekulla

Postby GrantE » Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:23 pm

If you want to develop an RC sim for Linux, starting with an existing open source flight simulator like flightgear might be a better option. Some guys at the University of Illinois have been working on parametric models of model planes for use with flightgear. It already has a "control tower view" of the plane, and there's a Linux driver for the FMS parallel port cable.

One of these days I've got to start working on that...
GrantE

Next

Return to Comments and Suggestions