[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Models are very unstable

Models are very unstable

Postby HalH » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:52 pm

The models are very unstable. Is there a way to make them more stable ?
HalH

Postby flameboy479 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:14 pm

No.
flameboy479

Postby aeropal » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:20 pm

Last edited by aeropal on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aeropal

Postby HalH » Mon May 02, 2005 12:29 pm

I am using Windows XP home edition with a JR transmitter. I am using the recommended version but I have tried two and the models act the same. I don't know how to change the graphics card.
HalH

Postby aeropal » Mon May 02, 2005 2:39 pm

Last edited by aeropal on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aeropal

Postby ggunners » Mon May 02, 2005 4:30 pm

I think you'll find that some models are unstable but folks may call them manueverable instead. :)

You can make the model more stable by reducing the control throws with one of the .par editors, reducing the size of the control surfaces or reducing the intertia moments for the X-pitch, Y-roll or Z-yaw axis in the MAIN section of the alpha 8.x .par file. You may also want to set exponential within the calibration section of the controls. Typically I set aileron as exponential for FMS on my computer.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby HalH » Mon May 02, 2005 5:12 pm

I don't have the faintest idea of how to access any files. You did note the inertia idea. I guess that best describes the problem. The models will continue to roll , for instance , even though the controls are nuetralized . It takes constant correction in all axis.
HalH

Postby flameboy479 » Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 am

flameboy479

Postby Boonies Flyer » Fri May 27, 2005 3:34 am

I have realized this also, using the keys the airplane flies wierd, when you roll it keeps on rolling slightly. I am using a Real Flight R/C Simulator controller and it works great but the calibration is funky, like while flying the plane will spaze out funnyish. The trims dont work well either. I read on another forum that some guy is using a Flash 5 transmitter to fly, how would I hook that up to the computer? My neighor told me that you can make a plane more 3d'ish, that would be real nice because i have to work on hoovering before the annual fun fly comes around. Ggunners fill us in on this model modifiction stuff.
Ide rather be flying. And just because I live in the boonies dosent mean I can't fly better than you. Muwahahahahaha.

-Boonies Flyer
Boonies Flyer

Postby ggunners » Fri May 27, 2005 10:30 pm

For 3D, use one of the terrific 3D models available for download. is great!

Modifying .par files is easy with Mr. Masuoka's .par file editor called .

Make sure you create a .bak file of the .par before you start mucking around. That way, you can always go back later and delete your working .par.

Pitch, Roll and Yaw moments are related to aircraft weight a bit. Heavier models will and should be harder to move in the air.

Some very light coefficients with very little continuing travel would be like the FoamFly Frog:

0.2268 //Mass [Kg]
0.11 //Roll Inertia Moment Ixx [kg*m^2]
0.1 //Pitch Inertia Moment Iyy [kg*m^2]
0.5 //Yaw Inertia Moment Izz [kg*m^2]
-0.06 //Ixz [kg*m^2]

An airplane that is more neutrally rigged, like an acrobatic airplane, would require constant control and have a tendancy to keep on going in the direction it was headed.

Consider the Pitts

MAIN //allgemeine Daten

5.5 //Masse des Modells [kg]
0.42 //Trägheitsmoment um die Querachse (Ixx) [kg*m^2]
0.37 //Trägheitsmoment um die Längsachse (Iyy) [kg*m^2]
0.76 //Trägheitsmoment um die Hochachse (Izz) [kg*m^2]
-0.07 //Deviationsmoment (Ixz) [kg*m^2]

Of course, nothing is that simple. The moment of the airfoils actually change depending on the angle of attack of the wing and those moments are detailed in the POLAR section which is referenced by a POLAR number in the WING section of the .par file.

If the nose of your FMS model continues to move too much when using your elevator, then reduce the first coefficient (Ixx pitch), if the model tends to roll off the wing too easily, then adjust the second coefficient (Iyy roll) and then if the yawing movement i.e. back and forth of the nose at level flight continues on too much, reduce the third coefficient (Izz yaw).

That said, too stable a model may not be realistic. Some airplanes fall off the wing easier than others and should have a higher number in the roll (Iyy) coefficient. Or some planes when in a dive are almost impossible to pull up, consider increasing the pitch (Ixx) coefficient.

Hope that helps.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Boonies Flyer » Sun May 29, 2005 5:03 pm

wow ggunners, when you start talking its like greek, i read all that and it flew like a mile over my head.
Ide rather be flying. And just because I live in the boonies dosent mean I can't fly better than you. Muwahahahahaha.

-Boonies Flyer
Boonies Flyer

Postby orion1992-12 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:31 am

I find that if your plane is unstable you are either being too rough with the countrols or are flying too fast. You can lower your speed by reducing your throttle. Just don't go too slow!

-orion1992-12
orion1992-12

Postby ggunners » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:53 am

One other thing to try is to check the [Exp] exponential box on the aileron control. It makes a big difference when flying low and slow.

-- ggunners
ggunners

how do i access the .par editor thing i cant find it

Postby hotrod » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:02 am

where do i find it
hotrod

Return to Comments and Suggestions