[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - FMS 2.0 on WinXP with PPM??? - FMS 2.0 on WinXP with PPM???

FMS 2.0 on WinXP with PPM??? - FMS 2.0 on WinXP with PPM???

Postby esmadja » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:01 am

I am using FMS version 2 Alpha 7.5.1 running on WinXP. I am trying to use the parallel interface unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. The calibration button is grayed out. Any suggestions? I have got the same thing to work from Win98.
esmadja

Postby Steve Lewin » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:37 am

Steve Lewin

Postby Brian Crosse » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:26 am

That's not completely correct Steve.

Windows 2000 and XP only allow direct port access to a list of ports specified in the IOPM (Input / Output Permission Map). This list can be changed by making a system call "Ke386IoSetAccessProcess" to include the parallel ports. Even when you do this (I did!) the FMS software "knows better" and keeps the option greyed out.

In otherwords, it would probably work if FMS would call the function first or simply tried port access after someone else (like me) had already called it.

It's a little frustrating because a very modest change to FMS might help a lot of people who want to do this.
???
Brian Crosse

Postby Brian Crosse » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:36 am

Quick note to self....Check your inbox before posting anything!

Michael Möller has already contacted me and explained that FMS not only needs direct port access but also interrupts to be under program control.

I'll see what I can find out from some of the systems programmers at work.

:(
Brian Crosse

Postby iceman » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:16 pm

brian any luck with those programmers it would be great if we can get it to work under xp. please help on how you got access to your ports under xp.
parralel interfaces is quite easy to make not as involved as pic's so somebady must get this to work xp cant be that restrictive
iceman

Postby Mike Roberts » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:24 pm

Just in case this helps:
The IRQ type interfaces use the 'ring indicator' pin on the serial port. They do not use any of the data or other handshaking lines (except to provide some power). This is the main difference between these and the PIC serial interfaces - which do send normal serial data. With the IRQ type interfaces the 'ring indicator has to trigger an interrupt routine to record the system clock so the pulse can be measured.

Cheers

Mike
Mike Roberts

Postby StephenS » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:17 pm

Hi, It seems I'm not alone! I've got a laptop and want to use a JR radio with FMS. I'm running XP (so from reading previous messages I guess parallel port is not an option for now). I've got no serial port (there goes another option). I have a USB to game port adaptor. This seems to be my only option for building my own interface - Anybody know where I can get a plan to build one, or have I over looked another option?

Yes, I know I can buy a direct USB adaptor or USB serial, but I'd like to avoid that if possible for now.
Any suggestions?

Steve
StephenS

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:07 pm

Steve
This problem drove me to develop a direct transmitter to USB interface. It creates a joystick in the game controllers with 4axes and up to 4 'buttons' depending on the number of channels. This system works with FMS and any other windows software that will accept a Joystick as input. See my website for details.

Cheers :D

Mike
Mike Roberts

Postby StephenS » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:05 am

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. My main interest with FMS is using the helicopter simulator. This requires 5 proportional channels, can the channels which appear as buttons with your system be used as proportional channels (to control the 5th channel, like pitch with the helicopter)?

Steve
StephenS

Postby Cuban Flyer » Fri May 23, 2003 12:05 am

I think you will find that you will not able to navigate the interupt problem, otherwise hackers could use this method to capture log details and the OS would not be as secure.
Cuban Flyer

Postby HaryS » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:52 pm

Hi all FMS parallelport users!
I read about SmartPropo some days ago and just tried it... works fine!
It uses the microphone or line input of your soundcard and has no problems with restricted port access.
Since I was one of the first users who built the parallel port interface for FMS... to be sure I was THE first one ;-)) I had this first prototype on hands and just connected the output designed for interfacing to the parallel port to the input of my sound card. This has the advantage, that the voltage at the input of the sound card will never exeed 5 V which should be safe enough for that input.
Only draw back (as for now) is the restricted usability to Win 2000 and XP.
Be sure to read the manual of SmartPropo at

Gruß Harald

Modellbau&Elektronik
www.harald-sattler.de
HaryS

Return to Parallelport-PPM-Interface