[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Futaba Skysport 6Y G - Will this interface work for my tx?

Futaba Skysport 6Y G - Will this interface work for my tx?

Postby Ant » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:01 pm

I am completely new to model flying, having just purchased my first kit (incidentally FMS keyboard flying helped persuade me to take the hobby up for real!!).

I have a Futaba Skysport 6Y G (I think!! - It is not with me at the moment!), and would like to ask simply, will this interface work with my tx? Looking at some of the postings, the cable looks simple to make (thanks heliguy!), but before I start, I would like to get an appretiation for the risk of blowing up my brand new never-been-used tx!

I have three burning questions;

1) Do I have to turn off PCM in favour of FM? Will my set allow me to do this?
2) Should I short pins 4 and 5, or pull the crystal?
3) If I build the cable, do I need to power on the tx when flying the simulator? (I presume yes - just checking
:)

Thanks

Ant
Ant

Postby Steve Lewin » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:57 pm

Quite a lot of interfaces will work with your Tx but since you don't say which one you're thinking of building it's hard to be more precise.

Note that the simple i/fs won't work with your computer if you're running Win 2000 or XP.

1. The 6YG doesn't have PCM so that shouldn't be a problem.
2. Up to you. I take the crystal out but then I use a spare Tx
3. Yes

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby Ant » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:42 am

:) Thanks Steve.

I was thinking of building the interface cable exactly as described by

i.e. using
NPN 2222a Transistor
1/2 watt 5% 10k-Ohm Resistor
25 Position Male D-Subminiature Solder-type connector
Shielded hood for DB25 connector
6-Pin DIN male plug (For FUTABA connections)
5 ft. wires

I wasn't sure whether to build this one or the one represented by the first circuit diagram in the manual. I opted for Helyguy's because he provided photos, which I found easier to interpret. Also, I have never heard of a 'zener diaode' (I'm not very electronics literate I'm afraid!). My only concern is which way round do the 3 pins go coming from the transistor go? If anybody can help me with this I will be cookin'!

Thanks again

Ant
Ant

Postby Ant » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:45 am

Ooops, posted the above twice, and can not delet this one - only modify it - Sorry!
Ant

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:55 pm

The single transistor version is better than the one with a zener diode so I'd carry on with that. It should be fine with your Tx.

The transistor connections vary according to PRECISELY what transistor you use. If it is actually a PN- or 2N-2222a then the connections are as shown. In the first picture the flat part of the case is facing up.

Good luck - Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby Ant » Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:19 am

Steve - thanks again! I just wished I'd logged on last night before I started building the thing!! I went to Maplin's last night and considering the price decided to get components for either interface. The nice guy in Maplin showed me which way round the zener diode should go, so I decided to build that one in the end.

I think I got it 'working', but the bars on the calibration screen were going beserk, with only a very slight correlation to movement on the sticks. Completely unflyable. Remembering some of the forum comments, I cut the wire down to 4 foot, and used seperate cable for the signal and ground (each used one of the strands from a 8(?) strand cat 5 cable). There was no detectable difference - still unflyable.

I also tried shorting out the two pins as described by heliguy, but when I put the lead in the back I was still transmitting, so I ended up pulling the crystal before attaching to my computer.

I will have a go at building the transistor version tonight. The guy in Maplin said he could match the spec of NPN 2222a, but I am sure that the transistor I bought does not have a 'flat' side, rather it is a cylinder in a metal case. That said, I have not had a good look at it!

I'll let you know how I get on!
Ant

Postby Steve Lewin » Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:44 am

The results you get from the zener version are quite common. That's why the transistor version is better.

If you'd mentioned you were in the UK I could have told you exactly what transistor to get and which way round it goes (though I've only just noticed that "Location" is no longer displayed as part of the message).

Steve
Reading UK
Steve Lewin

Postby Ant » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:16 am

That puts my mind at ease somewhat! Looking forward to getting it up and running tonight now! I might have a quick look on the net for different styles of transistors before I leave work!

Thanks again

Ant (Preston UK) :D
Ant

Return to Parallelport-PPM-Interface