[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Smartpropoplus! HELP!!

Smartpropoplus! HELP!!

Smartpropoplus! HELP!!

Postby benjhind2 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:11 pm

Hey,

I have the latest version of FMS and I want to use my Airtronics VG600 to control it. I have built a straight cord to imput into my audio in port in my computer. I am running Windows XP Pro on an Athalon 3200 w/ ASUS motherboard (as far as I can remember).

When I start FMS, no icon appears in the lower right for Smartpropoplus. The noise from the controller does not stop coming through the speakers. The controller calibrates fine and seems to operate the plane fine, for a while. After 5-15 minutes of flying, the computer resets itself without warning.

What am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated,
Ben
benjhind2

Postby shaul_eiz » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:53 pm

Sorry about the late reply.
Did you copy all files to the same FMS folder? If you did and still you see no icon, can you start SppConsole?
Does the computer reset itself when using the FMS with the keyboard?

Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby benjhind2 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:40 pm

My appologies for abandoning this post. I was impatient and gave up. I thank you for your reply and appologize for it falling on deaf ears.

I copied all the files to the FMS folder, exactly per the instructions. I could start SPPConsole manually, and the planes would fly, but the speakers still hummed and the computer still crashed. The computer did not crash using the keyboard as the control input.

Since my last post I have formatted the computer, and re-installed FMS (beta 7), but havn't tried smartpropo and have been using the keyboard. I have since gotten a different transmitter. I will make a new cable and try re-installing smartpropoplus and will provide an update on how it went.

Thanks,

Ben
benjhind2

Postby shaul_eiz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:02 pm

No problem. I really hope it works out for you this time.
Although SPP is surely not free of bugs - I think that crashes are quite rare.
If you cannot or would not use SPP - I really think you should find another means to connect your Tx. Flying with the keyboard does not teach you to fly the real thing.
shaul_eiz

Postby benjhind2 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:14 am

Shaul,

I couldn't agree more. I was merely using FMS before as a video game, rather than a simulator.

I have good news to report. SPP seems to be working flawlessly with my JR transmitter this time around. Here are a couple of problems I encountered along the way. I only mention them because others may have similar problems. My technical knowledge is very limited, please bear with me.

1) Line-in would produce the sound through the speakers, but would not register anything through WinScope on my computer.

2) The first time I attempted to use the microphone jack I assumed it wasn't working because there wasn't sound coming through the speakers. I had to click "Options" and "Advanced Controls" on the Windows volume control to find the microphone volume and un-mute it before sound came though the speakers. I'm sure this isn't necessary (SPP mutes it anyways) but I'm just explaining that it could be working even if no volume is coming through the speakers for others who may be reading this.

3) I chose "JR (PCM)" for modulation type, assuming that was correct for my JR XF622 radio. It was quite some time before I figured out that the correct modulation type was "PPM (Generic)". I only figured this out because I downloaded the PPM Thermometer (I forget what this is called) utility, and it displayed the signal correctly.

I would also like to mention that even though the JR trainer jack is mono, a stereo plug will also work. I couldn't see why it wouldn't, and when I saw that I could get a stereo cord for $1, or a mono cord for $8, I decided to try the stereo cord.

Thanks very much for your help, and for this utility.

Ben
benjhind2

Postby shaul_eiz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:51 pm

shaul_eiz

Postby benjhind2 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 pm

benjhind2

Postby shaul_eiz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:48 pm

OK, I made some investigations. JR send their data on the tip of the jack. This means that if you use a 'normal' stereo cable, you will get the data on the left channel, which is good.
By 'normal' stereo cable, I mean a cable with two stereophonic 3.5mm jacks at each end, that their corresponding parts are electrically connected to each other.
I hope this is clear enough.
shaul_eiz

Postby benjhind2 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Loud and clear, Shaul, thanks. The cable is as you described. I assumed that the signal was coming through one channel or the other, as I knew the channels corresponded to the same positions on the jacks at either end of the cord (if that makes any sense haha).

I have run into another bit of difficulty, however. I find that when I run FMS, SPP starts up, but the controls will not work. I have to go into SPP, go to "Audio Source" (I'm not sure this is what it is called, it is in the drop-down menus, I am at work and don't have SPP with me to check) and adjust the microphone volume (I'm currently using the microphone input). When SPP starts up, the volume is adjusted all the way to the bottom. I only have to turn it up to about 1/4 volume, and the control works well from there.

I have also had another problem. From time to time while flying, the planes get "jittery" as if I was vibrating the sticks around. This is more common when flying a larger aircraft, close to the "camera" (point of view of pilot), but can happen on any aircraft at any distance. Any idea what is causing this?

These comments are more for your personal knowledge than my benefit. I am quite happy to turn up the mic volume every time I start FMS, and when it is jittery, I just stop flying and come back to it later.

Thanks again!

Ben
benjhind2

Postby shaul_eiz » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:01 pm

shaul_eiz

Postby benjhind2 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:04 pm

benjhind2

Postby benjhind2 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:26 am

Shaul,

I've disabled the "enable audio input selection" option, which has solved my problem with having to change the input volume every time SPP is started. I've also removed the crystal from my transmitter whenever using FMS, and I believe it has decreased the frequency of the "jittery" problem. The planes do still get jittery from time to time, but it seems to be very rare now. I havn't tried extending the antenna, simply because this makes things very cumbersome when sitting at my desk.

Thanks again for all your help. FMS is running beautifully with my transmitter now, and I owe it all to you.

Ben
benjhind2

Postby shaul_eiz » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:58 am

I'm very happy to learn that SPP is working for you. Have fun and crash as many virtual aircrafts as you possibly can.
shaul_eiz

Postby benjhind2 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:00 am

benjhind2

Return to General Discussions