How to get the Joystick to work

How to get the Joystick to work

Postby Hustiniano » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi
Just bought my first RC helicopter - an Esky Big Lama. I want to practice first using the flight simulator that came with it - but I cannot get it to work.
I am running Windows XP. I installed the FMS simulator software OK. I connected the joystick to the PC using the cable that came with it (to a USB port.
I have been into control panel - game controllers and seen that it is there. I have calibrated it there and can see that the communication to the PC is working (the blue bars go up and down when I move the joysticks.

Then I run the FMS program, and choose the analog option for the controller, rather than the keyboard. I Choose joystick and when I calibrate the blue bars go up and down as they should when I move the joysticks.

But when I try to fly a helicopter, it just sits there on the ground with the engine running, not responding to anything I do on the joy stick controller...

What else must I do to get it working? Any ideas would be much appreciated...
Hustiniano

Re: How to get the Joystick to work

Postby FreeFlier » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Most likely the FMS version included on the disk is not the latest - although the latest is latest in name only. Your description of what you've done and the results indicate that you need to download v 2.0, alpha 8.5 from the download page; this is usually what is recommended for the situation you describe.

And please remove whatever version of FMS is on your hard drive (now) before installing the new version.

This version has worked on my xp machine very well for quite a while.

Enjoy FMS.
FreeFlier

Postby Steve Lewin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:48 pm

You may also need to set the correct channel mapping (on LH side of the mapping/calibration screen). The numbers should be set to the same numbers as the appropriate "blue bars".

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby basicjim » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Any fix on this? I have the exact same issue.

Windows XP SP3
FMS 2.0 ver Alpha 8.5

Esky 4 ch TX w/ cable

Calibration looks good. Did mappings to ensure all was correct. In sim, 3 out of 4 channels work fine. The last channel, (throttle in my case) doesn't work.

Ideas?
basicjim

Return to General Discussions