[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Trainer port to joystick port - Does anybody want these?

Trainer port to joystick port - Does anybody want these?

Postby Wayne Tarr » Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:34 am

I am working on a design for a trainer port to joystick game port adaptor. This means your transmitter will work as a jooystick under any application on windows (including games like NFS and Microsoft flight sim etc...).
The problem is that they need a specially programmed micro-controller. I can do this design no problem, but would like an indication of people who might be interested in one, as buying the chips in bulk and programming them myself can lead to real reduced costs (well below the current 贄US some sharks are trying to charge).
This also would have additional benefits such as compatibility with all radios (PPM only with trainer plug of course) and absolutely zero noise.
The design wil basically be a small self powered box plugging into your gameport, and then your radio plugs into that. Probably the size of a couple of matchboxes. I might make kits available for those with electronics knowledge, but no PIC development tools.
Let me know if your interested,

Thanks

Wayne Tarr
wt@hnpl.net
Wayne Tarr

Postby Michael_Moeller » Fri Jun 01, 2001 1:24 pm

Befor you start developing some big things here some short info, on what exists already:

There is already a curcuit by Cord Johannmeyer to connect a receiver to the gameport. Have a look at .

Another interface to connect a PPM signal to the gameport was developed by Jura Vanin. The curcuit can be found on the russian mirror of the FMS homepage:

Another solution is to do the thing with a driver. Connecting the signal with some small and simple interface to the parallel-port or rs232 and then using a special 'jostick'-driver for this. This way you can use your radio in all win-games, that support joysticks. A driver like this is already developed for Win9x/Me. For Win2k there is one to come.

Michael Möller
Michael_Moeller

Postby Wayne Tarr » Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:54 am

Yes,
These sites have a very similar idea to me with a pic chip. The reality is that the pic is so cheap now and so are the digital potentiometers, that it would cost me very little to develop. As electronics is my line of work, I could throw one together in a couple of days. I might see if I can design one using less parts than the above, so most people can put one together. Probable cost would be about ฤUS for parts only. It could be cheaper depending where you live.

Wayne

wt@hnpl.net
Wayne Tarr

Postby bstorey » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:39 pm

I'm very interested in buying something like this. Mail me when/if it's done.

Blake
bstorey@bluediesel.com
-"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness, which side are you on?"
bstorey

Postby Steve Lewin » Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:37 pm

I have one of Ken Hewitt's kits for this (http://www.welwyn.demon.co.uk/joystick/joystick.htm)

It works well with FMS and others. Not quite ฤ but hardly a rip-off and Ken will sell just the board and PIC so you can source the other components yourself of you think you can get a better deal or you have the bits lying around already.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby cgadd » Mon Aug 06, 2001 12:54 am

Ken now offers his as a completely assembled product:
cgadd

Postby Ben Tate » Tue Aug 21, 2001 8:32 pm

I've spent ages looking on the internet for details for a gameport interface for my JR XP652. I have found a couple for sale but I donb't have much money to spend on it (I'm 14). I would prefer just to buy the parts from a local electronics shop but I don't know whether this is possible, or whether there are some components which need to be tailored to this application.
Any help would be great,
Ben
Ben Tate

Postby cgadd » Wed Aug 22, 2001 6:54 am

There aren't any that can use just off-the-shelf components. All will require at least a custom programmed PIC chip. It needs to decode the pulses coming from the transmitter, and send digital channel information to a Digital Potentiometer chip.

You can buy a kit that contains just the programmed PIC chip and the circuit board, and you purchase the other parts. That kit cost is ฝ.00. The other parts will probably end up costing you another บ.00 or so. So you're up to ว.00, and you need to track down all the parts yourself, and do the assembly. For ำ.00 (just 12 bucks more) you can get it already assembled and tested.
cgadd

Postby mrr » Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:18 pm

Michael, in a post above you stated ...

"Connecting the signal with some small and simple interface to the parallel-port or rs232 and then using a special 'jostick'-driver for this. This way you can use your radio in all win-games, that support joysticks. A driver like this is already developed for Win9x/Me."

I'd love to have one of these drivers, where can I find one of them for Win ME ?
mrr

Return to General Discussions