[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Easy SmartPropo cable for old AM Futaba Radios

Easy SmartPropo cable for old AM Futaba Radios

Postby sscherin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:32 pm

I made this cable for use with SmartPropo.
It's easy to make.

I made one for my old FG series AM radios.

Parts needed.

A PS/2 (computer keyboard) extension cable or hack one off an old keyboard.
a PS/2 to AT adapter (AT keyboards used a DIN5 conector)
an 1/8" mono headphone jack
1/4w 10k resistor

Why these parts? I'm an IT geek.. I have tons of this junk.

Take the ps2 (computer keyboard) extension cable and chop off the female end.. Keep a few inches of cable on it if you want to put on a DIN6 and make make an FM Tx adapter

If you have a male-male cable.. just pick one end..

strip back the end of the PS2 cable. keep the yellow and black wires.. Trim the others back. you might keep the orange if you want to try externaly powering the TX

Get your 1/8" phono jack.
Hook the yellow wire to the center pin.. black wire to ground.. put a 10k 1/4w resistor between the ground and center pin.
If you want to try external power it takes 9v.. use the orange wire for the power feed (let me double check that)

For now I'm simply powering the TX with a 9v battery..
All I did was cut the plug off the old dead Tx battery and solder it to a 9v battery socket. Stuff it in the empty battery pocket.. Works great!

1 is signal out, brown inside the radio, yellow on the PS2 cable.
4 is signal in (yellow inside, not used for the sim)
2 is the ground, black inside and in the PS2 cable
5 is +9.6v power, red inside, orange in the PS2 cable
3 is unused.

I'll post pics of the cable later today.

When I get my FM buddy box I'll post the details on the DIN6 plug.. It'll be easy to swap between radios just by changing from the AT adapter to the DIN6 harness I'll make..

Why post this? I hardly found any information on the old AM Futaba radios.. After I worked it out I thought I'd share.
(well the only thing I worked out was the power pin, everything else is out there on the net)
sscherin

Postby shaul_eiz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:48 pm

Please bear with me.
Why do you need the power pin?
What is the use of the resistor.
Let me suggest a dumping resistor on the signal-out pin.
shaul_eiz

Postby sscherin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:39 am

sscherin

Postby sscherin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Here's the pictures of the cable..
Sorry for the poor quality.. It's a Cell phone cam.

sscherin

Return to General Discussions