[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - AIRTRONICS Buddy Box Joystick? - Cheap Joy Stick

AIRTRONICS Buddy Box Joystick? - Cheap Joy Stick

Postby jwilliam » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:03 am

I ran into this:

It is a AIRTRONICS Buddy Box W/Trainer Cord and was thinking that it would make a good/cheap controller. $35.96

Just wondering if anyone has used one or something like it for FMS. I am currently using a Saitek P990 PC Gamepad and it works great except that it doesn't have any kind of a trim.
Cost me $20.
jwilliam

Postby shaul_eiz » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:12 am

I have never used it, but it seems like it should work.
However, I think it is a waste of money:
If you plan to move on from FMS to real model airplanes then you will have to buy a real R/C Tx.
If you don't, then for FMS you don't need trimmers, you use the FMS calibration feature.
shaul_eiz

Postby jwilliam » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:34 pm

Well I was thinking more like if I hadn't already spent the $20 and was coming at FMS fresh, that the Buddy Box might be a better way to go than the game controller. The problem that I have had with the game pad is that different planes need different adjustments. I did try holding the joy stick off center when it asked to have it centered and that seems to help some, but it is more of a guessing game. I am really new to R/C planes and was looking at the J-3 Cub RTF Electric but I don't know if I could connect the radio that comes with it to my computer. How much work do you think it would be to connect the Buddy Box to my computer?

Thanks for your comments!
jwilliam

Postby shaul_eiz » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:48 am

I would not like to do your calculations for you. However I'd like draw your attention to some points related to both choices.
Clearly the price of both (Buddy-box and J-3 package) is very attractive. however, they both share the feature of being a "dead end" - You will not be able to use your Buddy-box for flight, so once you have bought a real Tx it will become useless.
Your J-3 Tx, Rx and perhaps even charger do not seem to be compatible with other packages so once you are ready to go on to your second model (Or once you've crashed it - everybody crashes their first plane) you will have to buy a new set of Batteries, Tx, Rx etc.
What I should have done had I've been smarter 4 years ago would have been to:
1. Buy an entry-level 72MHz 4-Channel Tx and fly a trainer model on FMS for at least 20 hours.
2. Then, go one and buy a real FOAMY trainer (I recommend Multiplex Twinstar or Magister) and a 4-6 channel receiver plus a 2 battery packs and a 20A speed control.
3. Fly this plane for 20 hours - and you are all set to buy any type of plane now.
Clearly this is more expensive, but you don't waste money by buying pieces of hardware that will be useless on the next stage.
I will be happy to answer any question you still have.
shaul_eiz

Postby jwilliam » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:01 am

Thanks for your post. I have been reading about the foam planes and it sounds like the way to go to me, at least to start with. Been reading in this forum:

What do you think about the Easy Star?

I am looking at this Tx I am thinking that I would like to have a channel for a camera. And I am still a little confused about servos and batteries. I know electonics, but don't know about the different parts and what make one better than another. I did find a USB adapter for the Tx for FMS.
Also I found models for the Easy Star, Twinstar & Magistar for FMS and they seem to work well. I probably already have more that 20hrs on FMS. The local store has Futaba and JR in stock, but they seem to cost more and I wonder if they are that much better. What do you like?

I am trying to figure out what a whole package would look like before I purchase anything. So like I decide on an Easy Star and then I need a Tx and servos and a ESC and 2 battery packs and a changer.

I did find a park that has 60 acre area that a local group uses to fly in that looks pretty good, only about 3 miles away.

Thanks again for your help!
jwilliam

Postby shaul_eiz » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:12 pm

Easystar is an excellent choice. Please refer to P. Plawner's .
As for the Hitec Tx you refer to - I've never seen before it but Hitec is a good brand and the features are more that enough.
As for the additional stuff you need I have my opinion, but this is not the right forum. Go to the RC forum and you will find your answers there, or just hang around the folks that fly near your home. You will learn a lot from asking them questions.
I strongly advise for electric flying and would like to remind you that your first plane will end its life by crashing. Be mentally prepared and do not despair.
Take care!
shaul_eiz

Return to General Discussions