[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Newbie looking for some guide

Newbie looking for some guide

Newbie looking for some guide

Postby mr_brown » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:45 am

Hello All,

I am a newbie and trying to get into RC flying. I read on a website to learn the basic flying skills using FMS and a controller (to get a feel for all the controls involved in RC flying).

I need some recommendation as to what type of controller should I buy for practicing with FMS. I thought I might as well get a real RC controller with USB/PC support instead of using a gamer control or something... practice using the real RC control and when I ready to fly the real RC plane then I can make use of the same controller..

Anyways... where do I start? Should I begin with a 3 channel or 4 channel controller? I am not into Heli.. only planes. Also, can some one please recommend a real RC controller that works with FMS that is not very expensive?

Here are couple I am thinking of... (but I have no idea whether it can be connected to a computer and can be used with FMS) but can someone tell me if I am at least on the right track?

Any help / guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
mr_brown

Re: Newbie looking for some guide

Postby Steve Lewin » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:01 am

Either of those can be used with FMS (like almost all mainstream R/C transmitters). Personally I'd get a 6 channel transmitter because they're a lot more versatile but it's your choice. You will need to buy a USB interface cable to use them. A search on your local EBay for "usb simulator cable" will find dozens.

OTOH many people find it easier and cheaper to use a dummy transmitter and cable like http://www.heliguy.com/Flight-Simulator ... ontroller/ with the sim and save their real R/C transmitter for actual flying. Again an EBay search for "ESky simulator" will find them for you.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby phildc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:04 am

Good morning, welcome in our world!

Simulators are indeed a good introduction to model flying. Detailed info about model flying should rather be found on forums dedicated to this practice.

As a first information, I would say that 4 channels is a real minimum for flying a scale model airplane, and that more channels are rapidly necessary when you progress in this activity. Helicopters need more channels. From a practical point of view, I would say 6 to 8 channels is a good approach.

Be aware that a lot of 'flying toys' are on the market, with a limited number of channels and a poor transmitter, but have less in common with model flying, and will be a bad investment.Some include a cable and fms (but fms is free, and they sometimes give old versions.

But....

You must know that most simulators do not use more than the 4 base channels. That's a great difference with the real model. The simulator will not use the transmitter programmed as for the real model! And will not teach you this aspect of RC model flying, only your flying skills will be trained by the sim.

When starting with a simulator, without being in contact with a club, or having read a lot about model flying, you will not be able to select a transmitter that will suit your future needs.

So...
I would suggest,
- either to contact a club to discover more about the real thing, and learn what they think about simulators
- or to start with a simple controller.

If anyway you choose to go 'alone'' with a real transmitter, read the forums carefully, and have a look to transmitter user manuals. There are some good 6 to 8 channels transmitter, with good programming possibilities for both airplane and heli, and not too expensive.
Be aware of the sticks mode, the frequency band(s) that can be used in your country, know how to disable transmitting when you play the sim, look at the training connector type and adapted usb cable. Look at topics dedicated to interfaces, and know that 'smartpropoplus' needs only a simple mono audio cable to connect a xmtr to fms.

Last but not least, remember that FMS is only a basic simulator that teaches the basics. To progress later, you will probably need to buy a more sophisticated simulator, so do not invest too much into fms dedicated equipment (most sim''s come with their cable and adaptor).

Phil.
Last edited by phildc on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phildc

Postby ggunners » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:53 pm

If you have a limited budget, I did, then use a $10 dual USB joystick or a $25 USB simulator controller.

Both will work with FMS and with ClearView and a couple other sims.

Both controllers are enough to get started and will not be a waste of money as real RC flying
costs a bit of bucks even today. It just costs a lot less than it used to and the newer
brushless motors with LiPo batteries supply some awesome power that was not available
in the near past.

As others have said, if you get the RC bug, this will be only the beginning, but your friends
and others could easily use these controllers to get started.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby mr_brown » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Hello All,

Thanks for all your reply and the suggestions. Great help!

I am thinking of starting with only a simulator and get some hands-on experienced on how to use the RC controller. I preffered a real one with USB support thinking that's only the possibility. Now, I learned that I can get a dummy RC controller (look and feel of a real one) I may go that route and.

The one suggested by Steve: http://www.heliguy.com/Flight-Simulator ... ontroller/ looks like a good option and almost hard to believe that it comes with a dummy controller and the software for the advertised price. I live in Canada so I guess I am looking for the North American standards of RC control. I might have to look for a similar deal on a NA website just to save some bucks on overseas shipping!

ggunners: You suggested "$25 USB simulator controller" that will work FMS and ClearView. Any particular controller that you can point me to? I am looking for a duplicate of what I would use for real when I start to fly the real RC plane..

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
mr_brown

Postby KEW » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Mr. Brown,

Where are you located in Canada? I live in Port Colborne in Ontario (on the bottom end of the Welland Canal, on lake Erie). I have flown RC for many years, both gas and electric, so I will probably be able to answer your Canadian questions.

Regards,

KEW
KEW

Postby ggunners » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 am

The ESKY controller will work for both.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby mr_brown » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 am

Thanks again!

KEW: I am located in Toronto. I don't know what to ask you for anything specific but if there is something that I need to be aware please do let me know.
mr_brown

Postby KEW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi,

I lived in Don Mills, Toronto for 37 years. I moved a couple of hours drive away when I retired in 2004.
There are a number of RC Flying Clubs around Toronto and quite a few good hobby stores.

See next message for more:

Regards,

KEW
Last edited by KEW on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KEW

Postby KEW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi,

I suggest that you check out the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada for information on clubs, frequencies etc.:

http://www.maac.ca/

Regards,

KEW
KEW

Return to PIC Interface