[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - USB Interface - Anyone interested?

USB Interface - Anyone interested?

Postby Nuschk » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:47 pm

Hi People

We've built a new RC Interface wich makes use of the USB. It supports 5 to 8 channels (firmware dependent) and uses the rest of the channels as buttons. It appears as normal joystick in Windows and should be useable on all joystick-enabled applications under WinWhatEver.

Now my question is this: Is anyone interested in reproducing that interface? I must admit it's not as cheap as could be (material cost about 30-40 Euro) as it's running a rather expensive Microprocessor (ATMega103, which is way too powerful for such a task) and must be soldered to a printed circuit board (we're using SMD 0603 size parts). Advantage is that it's real small (about 3x3 cm).

One could, however redesign the board to take an AT90S2313, which would reduce the cost by 7 Euro, furthermore it's possible to produce a larger amount of PCBs (say, >100) to drop cost from currently 7 Euro to below 4.

So, what do you say? Anyone interested? We won't do the redsign if there are no interests, so...

Cheers
Bernhard & Alex
Nuschk

Postby Rockfist Rogan » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:40 am

Well done!
The big question is whether it will also work with other software, such as CFS and FS2002...

If that *is* the case, then I would expect a lot of interest.

RR
Rockfist Rogan

Postby Nuschk » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:38 am

Yeah, it does :)

It appears as normal joystick to windows and can be used everywhere a joystick can be used. I've tested it with RF G2, FMS and MS Flightsim '02 so far and don't think there will be troubles with other apps. What I don't know is if it works for the Win9X series (it *should*).

cheers
Bernhard
Nuschk

Postby FlyingSparkz » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:46 am

Ken Hewitt at already sells this type of interface. It costs 28.95 UK pounds.
FlyingSparkz

Postby Vitaly » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:12 am

Hi Bernhard,

Could you provide me details on configuring USB endpoint to act as 5-8-axis joystick? I don't like to read all USB docs, to figure out how to make more than 4-axis.

Regards,

Vitaly.

( author of FMS serial cable, )
Vitaly

Postby Boxed » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:46 pm

This sounds really good!

I would really like to know how you made the usb interface to the computer from the atmel, is it possible to get some information on how you made it?

cheers,
Richard Gerrits
The Netherlands
A good landing is one from which you can walk away. A great landing is one after which you can still use your airplane
Boxed

Postby Nuschk » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:49 pm

I'm in the process of putting a small web page together to neatly publish the project, so that it can be rebuilt by others. Please be patient, I hope the page will be up this week.

It will contain schematics and layout files (in Protel file format and as PDF) as well as the needed firmware.

Thanks
Bernhard
Nuschk

Postby Boxed » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:43 pm

Wow, great!
i loop up to see how you pulled this off
A good landing is one from which you can walk away. A great landing is one after which you can still use your airplane
Boxed

Postby Nuschk » Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:01 am

I've just put the page up now, take a look at www.rc-interface.ch.vu.

If there are many people interested in building it, we could produce PCBs and program processors in a greater number, which would result in a cheaper price for everyone, so do let us know if you're interested (mail address on page).

cheers
Bernhard
Nuschk

Postby Boxed » Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:38 am

That is a really nice looking page, is it possible to get the source for the Atmega103? I want to try to port the software to the at90s2313
Boxed

Postby Isaac » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:50 pm

I think the PIC16C745 is the best choice for an USB interface, because it is a microcontroller with embeded USB circuitry. The price suggested by Microchip is only USD 2.82, and DigiKey sells it for only USD 5.43 a single unit, USD 3.26 over 25 units and USD 2.82 over 100 units.

You will need only the PIC, a 6 MHz quartz crystal, one 1500 ohm resistor, a few other resistors, capacitors and transistor.

The printed circuit board becomes very simple, just one side, and may be built at home.

Happy flights,

Isaac
Isaac
Isaac

Postby Ken Hewitt » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:16 am

If there is enough interest I may do a kit version of my USB interface. It is PIC16C745 based, and uses a well tried and tested input stage which works with all makes of radio. The kit would be similar to the PIC serial kit I do and include everything needed, i.e. Drilled plastic box , PCB, all pcb mounted components, USB lead, screened lead and a suitable buddy box plug. The cost would be in the region of 26.00 - 29.00 USD shipped world wide.

Ken.
Ken Hewitt[br][url]ken@welwyn.demon.co.uk[/url][br]
Ken Hewitt

Postby Vitaly » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:30 pm

26-29 USD seems to be a bit expencive, compared to PIC-kit.
The difference between details investment is not so big.

Will you release PIC code?
Vitaly

Postby Ken Hewitt » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:04 am

No I would not release the PIC code, this is a commercial product that was just going to offer to people interested in building one and saving a few dollars, it took me over a year to get the USB code working correctly.

As for the price I would be surprised if some one could buy all the parts much cheaper in one off quantities, a USB lead ia about 8.00 USD in the UK on it's own, I was going to supply the plastic box ready drilled etc.

If you think this is a rip off then just don't buy it and send 35+ USD on a simple parallel port lead that some guy has sent 3.00 USD making.

I was just trying to save people all the effort of trying to design thier own PIC based USB lead.

BTW. as a warning for anyone interested in building the ATmel design be careful as it looks like it will not work with a JR radio as it just uses the resistor and zener diode input that was used by some people for simple serial and parallel port interfaces.

Ken.
Ken Hewitt[br][url]ken@welwyn.demon.co.uk[/url][br]
Ken Hewitt

Postby Boxed » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:05 am

If the Atmel version is programmed in C, the software can quite easysily be ported to the PIC. As for the USB part, there are sample codes for USB joysticks....
Boxed

Next

Return to Joystick-Interface