Plane won't fly and I can't remove/reload program

Plane won't fly and I can't remove/reload program

Postby stefan737 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:05 am

I have the Century USB Simulator Controller and the FMS 2.0 Alpha 8.5 program. I have a Dell computer using Windows XP SP3 and a Pentium (R) D processor. I have gone through the setup a few times including the calibration. Channels 1,2,3, and 4 seem to move fully. When I try to fly the airplane the up elevator control does not raise the nose and it usually ground loops, and crashes , never flying. Is there a diagram on what to set the other controls/sliders to besides the throttle and joy-stick and what they trim? In the mapping/Calibration diagram, what boxes should be checked in the "Inv" and "Exp" columns next to the Channels column? The example shows only the rudder and tail boxes checked in the Inv column. What does Inv and Exp mean?
I have tried to remove the program and reload it but I get two error messages. 1. the HW_VSP.exe is still there and can't be written over, and 2. The same with windows\system32\ VSPort.dll file. Can I just go in and delete these files manually or can I get in trouble taking out an windows file?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
stefan737

Re: Plane won't fly and I can't remove/reload program

Postby ggunners » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:00 pm

You check INV boxes to reverse the controls. If you are pulling on the elevator and the airplane is not pitching up, then you need to check the INV box. Same thing with the other controls. Push aileron left and the airplane goes right, you need INV.

I check EXP exponential for both elevator and ailerons.

Also make sure that your controller is the "preferred" controller in Win Control Panel, Game Controllers, Advanced.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby stefan737 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for that info. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere, but it makes sense. Any idea why the controls don't work right when I try to fly it? Up elevator does not make the plane lift off the ground, but forward elevator makes it nose over and crash. Directional control is very poor if not non-existent and the plane sort of runs around on the ground until it crashes into something.
stefan737

Postby Steve Lewin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 am

What you describe sounds like exactly as though you haven't completed the calibration and/or haven't set the channel numbers correctly on the LH side of that screen. But if all 4 channels are moving correctly and you've set the channel numbers according to which blue bar moves for which control it can't be that.

Have you tried a number of different planes and do they ALL behave the same way ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby stefan737 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for the help. I think I have it starting to fly correctly now. I think my problem was there are 8 boxes in the column under Mapping on the left side. If I have 4 channels they appear to link to the joy stick movements on the right side columns to 1-Aileron, 2-Elevator, 3-Throttle and 4 - maybe rudder for ground control. I assume the default settings are not valid and appear to be almost all wrong. I just have numbers in the first 4 boxes now and I have left the others blank. The default settings had numbers in every box. The instructions could be a little better.
When would I use the other listed items such as tail, nick, roll and pitch? What does nick mean? I have never heard if it before. I will try the other planes now and see how they respond. How does this program with the Century controller compare to some of the others I have seen at some shows?
Thanks again.
stefan737

Postby Steve Lewin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:12 am

The top 4 settings control planes, the bottom 4 control the helicopters. They most commonly have exactly the same settings as the top 4. Since transmitters/controllers output controls in many different ways the default settings work for some but not for others.

Since I don't know what shows you've been to or what you've seen there it's impossible to compare ;). There are better simulators than FMS...but they're generally not free.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Correct Channel settings for FMS

Postby trigeek » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm

I bought the cable to connect my Spektrum DX7/8 here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=13597
After I loaded Smartpropoplus here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartpr ... tlayer-dal
I then tried to set up my channels as per:
http://forum.heliguy.com/how-to-set-up- ... 27411.html
but this did not work. The correct channel settings for the cable/interface listed above and a Spektrum DX7 on my Windows XP computer are:
Rudder chan 4 reversed (click in the INV box)
Elev 2 rev
Ail 3 rev
Thr 1 rev
With this setting, the throttle does not work as normal and, even when clicking INV, it still works in reverse. I have exp set for elevator and aileron.

Good luck. I would like to hear how FMS compares with Aerofly or Real Flight from anybody who has tried both/all.
trigeek

Postby trigeek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Correction: Setting the throttle to INV (reverse) makes it function properly.
trigeek

Postby ggunners » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Glad you got it working. Good Flying to you! -- ggunners
ggunners

Return to Joystick-Interface