controller isnt working

controller isnt working

Postby awhite » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 am

hi
I have recently downloaded fms alpha 8.5 on my windows 7 laptop and xp computer
the simulator works fine on both however i cant get my GFK-6A controller to work.
any help would be great
awhite

Re: controller isnt working

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Google has never heard of a "GFK-6A controller". What is it and how are you connecting it to the computers ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby awhite » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:49 am

its from singapore came with a powered kite goflykite.com
its connected using a usb cable
awhite

Postby Steve Lewin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 am

And are you sure that the USB cable is intended to be used with a simulator ? Quite a few of the cheaper radios have such cables but they can only be used to change the settings in the radio.

If it is a simulator cable when you plug it in it should show up as a games controller or "Human Interface Device" in control panel (like a joystick). You need to calibrate it there and only then calibrate it in FMS. Let us know what happens when go through the mapping/calibration etc.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby pete.d » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Oh for crying out loud. The session timeout on this board is so short, my post got trashed because I got logged out before I could hit the Submit button.

Well, I'd written a pretty detailed post, but here's the shorter version:

GoFlyKite: they are good at extracting money from the customer; they are selling FMS along with a cable for their controllers. I'm curious as to whether they actually have permission to sell FMS. They sell a CD-R with cable for $55 Singapore; it's probably worth about half that much, counting the cable and the home-made videos that are included (the sim is obviously free and so contributes no monetary value to the CD-R).

The controller: it appears to be custom for the GoFlyKite folks (haven't looked up the FCC ID yet). It does use a USB interface. But, it won't send any data over the interface unless it's in "Training" mode (there's a setting called "Training" that can be set either to "Training" or "Normal").

Also, the powered kites they sell have a pair of elevons as their only control surfaces, so the two sticks get mixed into two channels of output, plus throttle. That's how the controller is configured when you get it from them. For the flight sim, unless you find one that supports that input, you'll want to configure one of the six presets (presumably not the one you use to fly the powered kite :) ) to have a more conventional output (i.e. four discrete channels, rather than the 2-mixed+throttle). The sim itself may also require configuration to map the specific output control channels to the appropriate flight control surfaces.

That's all for now. I am still figuring everything out myself, but happy to share what I know if there are other questions.

Of course, if I could figure out how to get FMS to work on my Mac running Parallels 6 hosting Windows 7, now that would be dandy. :) I boots, but all I see is a window, the menu bar, and black.
pete.d

Postby sjohnston » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Can't calibrate using GKF-6a from GoFlyKite. Was somewhat successful on first attempt but next try, couldn't get the stick to respond when calibrating. Running Win 7 32-bit
sjohnston

Postby spoonerrw » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 am

you have the software working on xp? may i ask you if you had to make any changes or do any fixes to get it working, or did it work upon installation? my transmitter works fine paired through usb with a softdog, but the graphics are horrible. i posted a pic in the general discussion board on the top of the index page. what graphics card does your xp have? been trying different things for several days now but have yet to make any progress. if you have any suggestions, i would be grateful. feel free to post them in my general discussion post as i do not want this to interfere with anyone who can help you with your controller problem.
spoonerrw

Postby Papa Golf » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:01 pm

If you want the FMS to work in your windows version. You will have to download d3drm.dll and install it in the FMS folder (C:\Program Files\*game*). It worked just fine for me.
Papa Golf

Return to Joystick-Interface