Am I a SPAZ?? Joystick seems ultra sensitive!!

Am I a SPAZ?? Joystick seems ultra sensitive!!

Postby sharkproof » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:39 pm

OK, first let you all know that I am new to RC Sim Flying, so please forgive my ignorance. I have flown sims in the past just using keypad years and years ago on old lap top but this is whole new experience. Bottom line here is that stupidly or not, I bought my 13 y.o. son a Banana Hobby Pitts Bi Plane for Christmas manufactured by Blitzworks, also known as Art Tech. Along with the order they offer FMS software to train on. I installed the software and calibrated the RC as instructed and can take off and fly. I chose (possibly unwisely) to load the Pitts Biplane to train on since that is the plane that I got my son. Here's the kick in the a** The the controller is so sensitive to the most minute movement and I mean minute it's ridiculous. A eighth of an inch or less movement on right joystick ailerons sends the plane into a hard bank. To fly flat and level is a battle to say the least. The plane either wants to dive when sticks are both centered and user (me or my son) has to continually have small amount of pull back from center on elevator to try and maintain level flight.

My question is this.... Is this a calibration issue, a type of plane issue, or normal situation that exists with using a RC remote via USB? Or is this a Blitzworks/Art Tech issue? I find it hard to believe that such tiny movements to the ailerons would cause such drastic pitching and the same with the elevators. The only control that seems to be working somewhat normally is the rudder.

Sorry in advance if this topic has been posted as I searched via search box and going through topics manually, but have seen nothing that addresses this issue.

If's it's my son and I and the learning curve which honestly I cannot believe, then we have a long time to go before ever launching the real plane.

For what it's worth, I have flown single engine and twin engine planes with a friends who is a licensed pilot which was about a million times easier to execute a coordinated turn that this has been so far.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help/advice, knowledge on this subject!
sharkproof

Re: Am I a SPAZ?? Joystick seems ultra sensitive!!

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Pulling back to avoid diving just means you need to put some trim in on the transmitter. Happens just like that in real life too.

And if it's too sensitive (bearing in mind that a Pitts is supposed to be one of the most aerobatic and so sensitive planes ever made and is completely unsuitable for a first plane...like trying to learn to drive in a Ferrari racecar) then for a start try ticking the EXP box on the RH side of the calibration screen. Expo makes the control less sensitive around the centre of the movement.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Re: Am I a SPAZ?? Joystick seems ultra sensitive!!

Postby KEW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Another tip:
If your transmitter has dual rate switches for ailerons and elevator, calibrate the transmitter in FMS with the switches in the high rate, most sensitive position. When you are ready to fly, switch to the less sensitive low rate position.
KEW
KEW

Return to Joystick-Interface