mixing

mixing

Postby djbeloved » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:48 pm

I know that this is a dumb question but what is mixing exactly. Is it like when I take the right stick and pull toward 730(down and left) the plane will rise and roll to the left.
I dont think I need mixing every since my Helis are 4ch and I dont plane on every getting anything 6 ch. is this correct or do my helis have mixing already set in them.

Please explain this to me.

My helis Walkera v200d01, Great wall 9958 (solo pro want to be) and Syma 106
My helis
Walkera V200D01, GW9958(solo pro want to be) and Syma 106
djbeloved

Re: mixing

Postby KEW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Mixing is a function that is performed by your transmitter - if it is programmable. It allows you to combine the effect of two different channels to a degree that you can set up.
In a delta or flying wing plane for example, you can combine the aileron and elevator channels so that the elevator stick moves both of the elevons up and down together while the aileron stick makes one go up and the other down at the same time like ailerons.
In a helicopter, especially if you don't have a tail rotor gyro, it helps to mix a little of the throttle in with the tail rotor so that as you increase throttle, you dont have to correct for yaw.
I hope this give you a little bit of understanding of what mixing is about.
Back in the seventies I built a flying wing with elevons as the only moving surfaces. There was no mixing on the simple transmitters then. I made a mechanical mixer for the elevator and aileron servos by moving the aileron servo backwards and forwards with the elevator servo. It worked but it was mechanically a bit clumsy, and it changed the C of G a little bit when the servo moved. I finally designed an electronic mixer that connected between the receiver and the two servos - one controlling each surface. I still have that plane in the attic with about 40 others, large and small and all in flying condition.
Regards,
KEW
KEW

Return to Joystick-Interface