rudder does not work

rudder does not work

Postby 62vetteefp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Windows 7, Dynam RC Flight Simulator, FMS 2.0 Beta 7

I now have it up and running and it seems to work fine except the rudder is not responding to joystick. The plane goes to the right and crashes.

I have calibrated using both Windows Control panel and the FMS controller cal.

When I test the joysticks in Windows:

left joystick movement causes Z axis and Z rotation bar to move but does not move the crosshairs in the box.

right joystick movement does move the crosshairs in the box properly.

What can I try next?

I do find that if I turn the Gear/Pit knob on my transmitter it will turn in the opposite direction.

thanks
62vetteefp

Re: rudder does not work

Postby ggunners » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Once you calibrate in Windows, you must map the channels within FMS to get the correct channel on the correct stick.

Here in the US, left stick up/down is throttle and left/right is rudder.

On the right stick, left/right is aileron and push for down elevator, pull for up elevator.

Get the numbers mapping right in FMS and let us know how it works.

If your controller has a MIX switch, make sure it is turned off.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby 62vetteefp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 pm

thanks for response

I was playing with it and found out that my airelon was not calibrated (I am only using 3 channels since my beginner plane has only 3 channels). I have now turned off the aerilon by putting channel 8 in the FMS calibration box. This was what caused the forced turning.

I find that rudder joystick movement continues to have no effect on the plane. Actually it looks like the plane "kicks" sideways slightly but the plane does not turn.

I have channel 1 in the FMS cal box. When I do the cal in the FMS I do see the blue bars moving thru their full distance and in the proper place. ie when I move the rudder joystick side to side the blue bar in column 1 moves all the way to the top and all the way to the bottom.

channels are 1 2 8 3
62vetteefp

Postby 62vetteefp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 pm

I played around some more. It looks like only the Skyhawk will not work.
62vetteefp

Postby ggunners » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Do you mean the Hawk Sky? If not which model are you having problems with and where did you get it?

If it is the Hawk Sky, make sure you are using FMS 2 alpha 8.5 and not FMS 2 beta 7. Beta 7 will not fly models with alpha 8 .par files.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby Steve Lewin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm

It's also worth noting that many of the FMS 3-channel models have the rudder mapped to the right-hand (aileron) control...because that's the way most people set up the actual models. If you're using one of those the normal rudder control will definitely do nothing. Try putting your Ch 1 in the aileron box and see if that works.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Return to Joystick-Interface