[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Spruce Goose Ready To Be Flown By Anyone

Spruce Goose Ready To Be Flown By Anyone

Spruce Goose Ready To Be Flown By Anyone

Postby PatrickRomero » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:43 pm

The Spruce Goose can be downloaded at the following link:
http://sites.google.com/site/patricksfm ... ects=0&d=1
Enjoy flying it!
Patrick Romero
PatrickRomero

Re: Spruce Goose Ready To Be Flown By Anyone

Postby FreeFlier » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Love the size, but:

Lots of flashing on all surfaces of the aircraft

Movements are quite sensitive and seem to over-react to small stick movements - not sure what to call this.

But nice to see something different, and you, or others, may have some thoughts about these issues.

No offense intended, for I couldn't create anything near to what you did. Please don't stop now.

Thank you.

Stew
FreeFlier

Postby PatrickRomero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:01 am

I think that the control surfaces are either too big or they have too large of a maximum angle. As for the flashing, I am not sure what to do about that. I can try to correct the flashing, but I am not sure quite how I will accomplish this. Other than that, it is very realistic. Thanks for appreciating the hard work that I put into it, FreeFlier.
Patrick Romero
PatrickRomero

Postby ggunners » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Patrick,

The flashing is caused by a 3D model that has issues. In your model, some flashing is caused by model "faces" being inverted and/or model pieces overlapping. Inverted faces should be selected and inverted again or deleted and recreated.

Within the "fuse" object it looks like you started with a "pipe" object as the basic primitive instead of starting with the "cylinder". Now you have faces covered up by faces. This is not good. It might be easier to recreate the "fuse" based on all the changes needed.

However, there is a way to get rid of them. Click off the [Ln] and [Fc] buttons until you only have a wireframe. Then under edit options, click off the [Ln] and [Fc] buttons as we will only want to select points. Select points that are the inside of the pipe and delete them. That should help a lot. If you have areas that open up on your model, select two close points and <Join> them together under menu <Selected> <Join> or Ctrl-J.

If you want to see what issues your model might have, select each object and then go through the <Object> menu and <Join Closed Vertices> at "0" to make any two points that are together become one point, if the model looks worse, Ctrl-Z to undo, <Align Faces>, if zero your model is OK, if not zero, Ctrl-Z to undo and fix the problems, same thing with <Delete Overlapped Faces> and <Unify Faces>.

Once your model passes these basic integrity checks, you will have a better 3D model that is more efficient with fewer polygons and fewer issues.

Thanks to Treehugger for helping me understand some basic issues with my models. Pass it on....

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby PatrickRomero » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 pm

I have fixed almost all of the flashing. there is only a minimal amount of flashing during the takeoff run on the steps of the hull, but other than that, the flashing problem has been cured. Over 5,000 faces were deleted during the process of making the Spruce Goose look better, though I scaled it down later to get ride of some crashing issues. (it crashed just by sitting on the ground for some reason, even though the g-force tolerances on the parts were not being equaled or exceeded by any impacts. It is now half the size it originally was.) the handling is now much more realistic as well. I put it on my website as the third version. here is the download link:
http://sites.google.com/site/patricksfm ... ects=0&d=1
thanks for the tips, Gary Gunnerson. there was no need for me to redo the fuselage, I just had to delete thousands of faces by unifying the faces and deleting the overlapping faces.
Patrick Romero
PatrickRomero

Postby PatrickRomero » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 am

I have recently finished remaking the Spruce Goose. It has no windows, because I forgot to color them in, but it flies quite well, though the controls are somewhat sluggish. Here is the download link: http://sites.google.com/site/patricksfm ... ects=0&d=1
Enjoy! I left it white, to mimic a white paint scheme.
Patrick Romero
PatrickRomero

Return to Models