[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Wildhawk too much for me.

Wildhawk too much for me.

Wildhawk too much for me.

Postby hbaird » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 pm

I am a real Noobie. I have trouble just getting the Wildhawk off the ground. It jerks to the right about 45 degrees most of the time like it hit a rock on the runway. If it gets up I can fly it. I have a Hawk Sky ready to fly when I get some confidence, I am hoping it is a little more stable.
hbaird

Re: Wildhawk too much for me.

Postby hbaird » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I should have mentioned I am running 2. alpha 8.5. I will try going lower on the sample time.
hbaird

Postby ggunners » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the WildHawk. Try hitting the R key for a hand launch for now.

I will take a look at the .par file and provide an update as time permits.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby wd_davis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Let me start by saying this is a great model, this will be the first rc i purchase in the near future. I am very new to rc planes so i could be very wrong here. From what i can tell the rc that you buy is 3 channel (Elevator,Rudder,Throttle) the fms model is (Elevator, Aileron,Throttle) so it seems to me that the model on fms would fly more like the 4 channel Hawk Sky than the Wild Hawk. Am i wrong here?
Please help me out, my intent is not to put down the fms model, only to make sure the model will fly like the rc
wd_davis

Postby ggunners » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:17 am

wd_davis,

Yes, you found a small error in the .par file for the WildHawk.

Go ahead and download it again from

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby KEW » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:47 pm

I tried the modified version of the Wildhawk. It handles very well in the air but on the ground it has two problems. On takeoff, when the speed reaches about 2/3, the plane veers sharply to the left. On landing, as it gently comes to a stop, it veers sharply to the left and crashes.

KEW
KEW

Postby ggunners » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks KEW, Boy it's great to get some feedback.

OK, both problems were related to the landing gear.

Left turn during take-off was the landing gear not having a couple degrees offset. I usually leave my models at zero wheel off-set, and that caused the turning. If you did a restart using the "I" key and held down full throttle, you would get left turns sometimes and right turns others.

The crashing during landing was related to having a low transverse friction on the tail wheel. I made it the same as the front wheels and all is good.

I also took the time to update the .par file for the No-Gear version of the WildHawk.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby KEW » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks Ggunners,

The ground handling is perfect. It flies as good as it looks now! You did a great job (as always).

KEW
KEW

Postby Jake Bullit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:34 pm

I can`t get this one in the air.I would really like it to work as it is similar to the AXN Clouds Fly I just bought.I plan on learning without the ailerons to start.
I am using v2.1 B7.My joystick works with the other models in the basic download package.
Thanks.
Jake Bullit

Postby KEW » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Try hand-launching it - press "R".

Once you trim it out and get used to it, try taking off from the ground again.

KEW
KEW

Postby ggunners » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:46 pm

ggunners

Postby Jake Bullit » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks ,got it flying in v2 alpha 8.5 :)
Jake Bullit

Postby Penumbra Jack » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:29 am

I'm just getting ready for my first flight with the Wild Hawk and I am really glad I found your model.

I downloaded the update posted above, and it seems like the rudder is still switched with the ailerons, but besides that, it's great!

(running alpha 8.5 in Win 7, so maybe it's just me.)
Penumbra Jack

Postby ggunners » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, the rudder is on the aileron channel as it usually is with all my 3 channel R/E/T airplanes. I also do this in real life as well. All my rudder's of the R/E/T 3 channel airplanes are plugged into my aileron channel. That way, with a mode 2 transmitter, the primary turning control is always on the right stick. If you want to change it, edit the .par file and change channel 3 aileron to channel 1 rudder for all WING entries in the .par file. -- ggunners
ggunners

Re: Wildhawk (NOT) too much for me.

Postby mbarrett » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:45 pm

The real (hardware) Wildhawk is very much OK for me, thanks to fms and ggunners model as training wheels. I have no complaints, and I am hugely grateful to those who generously share their knowledge and skills to help newbies like me to get airborne.

But after some runway launched and some hand launched flights I see a BIG difference in "power" between the fms model and the real hardware performance. The hardware needed a long downward sloping (smooth) parking lot (with no wind) to reluctantly lift off (after 50-100 yds) vs. the fms model which takes off in about 1 second and 10 plane lengths. Likewise, in the air, the fms model's sustained climb rate is way over the hardware's.
Reducing the fms model cell count (in the .par file) from 8 to 5 creates an fms performance similar to the hardware (which has the stock 7 cell 8.4 v 1300 mAhr battery ). Reducing the cell count in the fms model to 7 still produces performance way over the hardware.

What are other Wildhawk owners' experiences in this area?

Full disclosure: Acting on forum advice, I doubled the rudder flap size (and am very satisified with the resulting performance), and weighted the nose to put the COG at 3 " from the wing leading edge before ever trying to fly.

Michael
mbarrett

Return to Models