[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
FMS Forum • View topic - Newbie using FMS simulator & have questions

Newbie using FMS simulator & have questions

Newbie using FMS simulator & have questions

Postby crlguitar » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi folks! I'm a newbie, although I used to fly sailplanes in San Francisco years ago. Now getting back into the hobby.
My cousin gave me his FMS controller and software so I thought I'd try it out. I am discovering that some of the models fly extremely well but others seem to be a waste of time. Some of the planes are too small and disappear before I can return them to the 'field'. Landscapes have too many obstacles to let a 7 year old child to learn with. Wouldn't mind the default landscape if the 'shack' or trees weren't there.
I have no experience in building a virtual landscape or model for that matter.
We will be going to our field near Medford / White City area in Southern Oregon soon with a 'Slo-Stick' to train our young novice pilot. I have a virtual Slo-Stick in my 'hangar' to help train the lad with on the PC but when throttled down the nose drops too much and recovery is too slow causing a crash. Naturally it frustrates our new pilot. Is there a simple way to adjust this so this beginner model is just a tad easier to fly?
We also downloded an 'Ascent' which seems to be a good beginner plane but the rudder turns using left stick only and there are no ailerons on this model.
Would like to alter the Ascent to operate the rudder from the right stick rather than the left one without having to change the 'analog control mapping' each time we load that plane.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Carl
crlguitar

Re: Newbie using FMS simulator & have questions

Postby ggunners » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 pm

ggunners

Postby KEW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Which version of the FMS program are you using, FMS 2 beta 7 or FMS 2 alpha 8? I can change the default field for you by removing the hut and trees, but the programs are different for the two above versions of FMS.

If you are using FMS 2 alpha 8 and prefer to do the work yourself, you will find a copy of the Unofficial Landscape Programming Manual that I wrote, in the Landscapes section of this forum, on 25th March, 2010.

Regards,
KEW
KEW

Postby crlguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for your kind replies to my inquiry, folks. My version is apparently 2.0 Alpha 8.5 and as freeware I find it to be pretty good considering.....
I downloaded the par editor and compared a couple models that I liked the flight characteristics of to models that I have and although I really don't know what I'm doing, when I saved the changes I did have success in changing a 'rudder' to the right joystick AND lightened the heavy nose of the 'Slo-stick' model a tad to make it a bit easier to land without a crash. I was merely guessing at what I should do though....
The landscape 'world' that the FMS defaulted to on initial launch is still the best I have currently. The 7 year old novice pilot just needs something even more basic without the shack and trees and hills that the plane disappears behind occasionally.
I did see that somebody made a 'trainer' field but the link is apparently long dead so I hit a dead end there.
We can't wait until the weather improves so that we can run out and try the real thing. In the meantime the child is totally entertained by the 'game' even though he as Chuck Yeager says....Augers in......a lot!
crlguitar

Postby KEW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:17 pm

I have a copy of the "Trainer Field". If you would like it, send me a personal message containing your e-mail address and I will send you it as a .zip file.

Regards,

KEW
KEW

Postby madgreen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:14 pm

I am new to FMS and read your reply about a "trainer field". Would you be able to send me a copy of this field? Also can you give me instructions on what to do with the file, to get it in my FMS software?

I appreciate your help. I purchased a Cessna 182 Skylane but have not flown it yet. I am trying to use the simulator software to practice first. I am having issues with the software calibration of the rudders etc. Each time I load the airplane model, the airplane seems to react differently. Sometimes the ailerons work, sometimes the rudder works, sometimes not. Not sure what the problem is. I am on a Vista operating system, but have done all of the fixes I have read about. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
madgreen

Return to Models