[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - New pilot questions

New pilot questions

New pilot questions

Postby mjswider » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:39 am

Hi, I have become interested in flying RC airplanes. I am using FMS to learn to fly, and to check out planes I am interested in using to purchase. My choices thus far are either the EasyStar or the BeginAir. Flying the EasyStar in FMS seems way easier, as I so far am not attempting to use the ailerons (sp?) of the BeginAir. I know ailerons make the plane much more manueverable, but also can lead to trouble quicker.

As the BeginAir seems more versitile in the long run, I would like to start with a plane like this to reduce my long term cash outlay, assuming I stick with this. But the EasyStar seems so much easier to fly, at least in FMS, that it seems like it may be a better choice.

I would be curious to hear feedback from other users in regard to these comments. I know the standard "it is my choice", and "get an instructor" feedback, but feel free to share these if you wish. Thanks for any tips from personal experience you can share.

PS I have four boys that would be no doubt interested in flying the plane. They would need to show proficiency in FMS or some flight simulator with the plane to be flown before getting the controls.
mjswider

Postby Steve Lewin » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:38 am

Trying to fly a plane designed for ailerons without using them will always make it a lot more difficult. Aileron planes do not fly at all well using rudder only. Try flying the BeginAir as it should be flown and see what that feels like ;).

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby aeropal » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:40 pm

The is one of the very best beginner RC airplanes, especially if you will be teaching yourself. If you feel that an aircraft designed for this "flight envelope" is beneath you, definitely seek out a more aerobatic design compatible with your ego.

The is an excellent dedicated "baseline" airplane to experience the "learning curve", and would be a reliable back-up when future planes suffer "mishaps".
aeropal

Postby mjswider » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks for the feedbacks.

I had not thought about flying the BeginAir without the ailerons was flying it in a way that it had not been designed to fly. Makes good sense though. I had seen an ad, maybe on ebay, regarding using that plane as a three control trainer via disconnecting the aileron.

As far as the EasyStar goes, nothing is beneath me presently. I have never flown a plane, so the first few (several, all?) flights with any plane will be an adventure. Flying planes with ailerons via the simulator, it is not too hard to do lots of interesting tricks. It is also not too hard to crash. I suspect we need to take the long view, and start with something basic like the EasyStar, and work our way up as the skill level (and finances) dictate.

Any other thoughts are welcome.
mjswider

EasyStar

Postby rjowsey » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:58 pm

I'd advise the EasyStar also. It's an extremely well-behaved trainer, and is virtually indestructable. After a few hours sim-training time, you'll be quite proficient with the real thing. I really love this bird, now I've put a decent rudder on, and have just fitted 2 wing servos for ailerons/spoilers. She flies like a bat-outta-hell, and is impressively aerobatic!
rjowsey

Return to General Discussions