[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Can't stop-no brakes!

Can't stop-no brakes!

Can't stop-no brakes!

Postby Ribcracker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 am

Been flying rc for years but just downloaded this sim. Don't have a cable so I'm using a Sidewinder joystick. When I cut the throttle after landing, the plane just keeps taxiing. How do I apply the brakes?
Is there a manual or tutorial that might help me?
Ribcracker

Postby Steve Lewin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:06 am

All planes or just one particular one ?

If it's all of them you probably just need to calibrate your joystick cus the power probably isn't reducing to zero. Every plane I've tried in FMS stops when the throttle is at zero.

In FMS just like in the real world 99.95% of model planes don't have brakes.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby Ribcracker » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:54 am

Thanks, Steve. You were right. My screw-up was that I was calibrating with the throttle in the off position when in fact the stick needs to be centered. So that problem is solved. Now...what about ground control? Can my sidewinder joystick be programmed to include rudder? It appears to me to be 3 channel only. Maybe I could ditch the ailerons and replace with rudder. I shouldn't bug you with this stuff until I've wrung out the system some more but I'm going to risk one more question. In the calibration window under channel designations, it has check boxes for INV and EXP. INV seems to reverse the servos. Is EXP for exponential? Some of these planes could sure use some exponential.
Thanks for your patience. You've already been a big help.
Peace,
Rib
Ribcracker

Postby Steve Lewin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:24 am

Yes INV means inverted and EXP applies some exponential.

I've never used a sidewinder joystick so I can't really help with that. Do a search using the button at the top of the screen...I'm sure "sidewinder" will find you plenty of info.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby phildc » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:31 am

If you joystick has no rudder but ailerons only, you could try to assign the same channel to rudder and ailerons (i.e. you create a 100% mixing). The result will differ from one model to another and has to be tested. But be aware that when taxiing with the rudder, your ailerons will be active at the same time!

Phil.
phildc

What Cable to Get?

Postby Ribcracker » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:48 am

Thank you, Steve. And Phil, you were right about putting both ail and rud on channel one. The planes fly a little differently but it's nice to be able to straighten out on the runway if I come in obliquely. I think this sim is terrific and I wish I'd found it sooner. I now know that I'll be getting a usb interface cable. My tx is the Optic 6. Do you have recommendations as to where I should purchase it? I want to make sure it is suitable. And price matters too.
I know I should just do my homework but you guys seem so knowledgeable and willing to avail that I'd like to take advantage of your generosity.
You've saved me a lot of time already.
Ribcracker

Return to General Discussions