Am I learning it right? - PLEEEASE HELP!

Postby Shaw Goh » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:40 am

I have a Hitec Eclipse hooked up to FMS in a couple ways;

Firstly, I made an audio cable, and calibrated it as best I could. On the FMS calibration screen, the bar graphs jumped up and down a bit (2-5mm) constantly. On flying a plane, all seems fine (feels realistic). On flying a heli, the heli felt "jittery" - and I thought, it must be correct, as everyone says a heli is hard to fly. I have been learning on this for quite a few hours and have got to a stage where I can hover over (approx) 20 sq metres of ground and land after 10 minutes. All this has felt real to me (but obviously, I have no idea what real flying is like).

Then, my USB interface arrived (Very promptly I might add) from Ken Hewitt (Great to deal with!). On installation of the USB interface, all worked well. When I goto the FMS calibration screen, the bar graphs were much more stable. The only un-intended movement of the graph was perhaps +/- 1mm. On flying a heli - the heli seems almost rock steady! I could even apply a bit of pitch (throttle), and the heli would rise up and pretty much stay there for about 10 seconds.

ps.
- With both of these, I have trimmed the Tx as best I could as well as calibrate as best I could.
- I am using the "ThreeDee" heli in FMS (assuiming this is the closest to a learning 30 size heli). Is there a site I can download the Raptor or Concept or better yet JR Venture 30?
- I have tried to turn the "Updraft" and "Bubbles" all the way up on the USB interface, but didin't seem to make it much harder. Is there a wind and gust option somewhere.

Please, give me a realistic indication on whether I am learning right? Which of the above should I expect in real life? Or is FMS considered not accurate enough a SIM. I much rather not pay hundreds of dollars on another SIM as I want to spend the money on the heli. Any help/opinions would be appreciated!
Shaw Goh

Return to General Discussions