[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Need help with this simulator - changing landcape, and controling heli

Need help with this simulator - changing landcape, and controling heli

Postby adam_jorgensen » Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:25 pm

I'm new here, and like most new people, I'm having problems with the FMS simulator.

First, when I go to change the landscape, my whole computer locks and I have to reset it with ctrl/alt/delete. I've noticed other people experiencing the same problem. They say its the graphics card, and there have been problems with it. How do I fix this? I'm using the newest version of the FMS (beta 7.)

Also, I'm trying to learn how to fly a helicopter. Which is the best heli to use? I have been using the 3D mostly. By the way, im using a interface cord with a JR radio. I have it connected on the parallel/serial IRQ-interface 16-Bit-DDL. Is this right?

General question, how do I land with the heli? Its really hard to land after going fast, because I'm having trouble slowing down. How do I slow down to a steady hover and land? I can usually do it, its just that I swerve around all over the place before it will slow down. I want to be able to slow down with out using allot of distance. If I want to land it on a certain point, I need to slow it down steady and land it. Please help!
adam_jorgensen

Postby Rockfist Rogan » Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:33 pm

""First, when I go to change the landscape, my whole computer locks and I have to reset it with ctrl/alt/delete. I've noticed other people experiencing the same problem. They say its the graphics card, and there have been problems with it. How do I fix this? I'm using the newest version of the FMS (beta 7.)""

Yes, I'm still having the same problem, even though I've updated my graphics drivers. I'm stuck in Switzerland. Every time I try to change it I have to Ctrl/Alt/Delete, so I'm back to Switzerland again! Time *somebody* had a fix...

RR
Rockfist Rogan

Postby johnhlong » Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:19 am

Ok lets take these one by one.

Landscape:
You might be using version Beta 2, 6 landscapes. Make sure you have the latest Beta 2 Version 7 landscapes.

Helicopters:
Start by practicing hovering, then practice hovering some more then practice hovering a bit more.
To land a helicopter you have to first understand transitional lift. As the heli moves in any direction it gains additional lift from the rotor disk as if it was a fixed wing aircraft. So when you start to land you have to.... Pull back on the stick to stop the foward motion, reduce the throttle to counteract the tendency to climb. as the heli slows you will need to add back in the throttle to compensate for the loss of transitional lift. Now once you return to a hover (Even 25 feet in the air) you can slowely reduce pitch to bring her down to earth. Remenber the ground effect takes over when you get within 1 rotor span of the ground.

Kind of complicated, but thats why we need FMS before we try it on the real helicopter.

You can call me at (425) 837-0802.
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby Rockfist Rogan » Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:21 am

The same landscapes work on my mate's (newer) computer :-(
so I guess they are current. How can I find out the version?
RR

*I* am getting on great with helicopters. I'm nearly ready for the real thing :)
Rockfist Rogan

Postby johnhlong » Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:00 pm

Download the latest versions by using the likk from FMS's home page.

John
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby adam_jorgensen » Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:11 am

A couple of more questions.

1.Is there a way to get a steady hands free hover?

2.Also, when you say to slow down, pull back on the stick to stop the forward motion, reduce the throttle to counteract the tendency to climb, do I reduce the throttle all the way? I noticed allot when I'm trying to stop, I'm pulling the stick back to stop the forward motion, but it always wants to rise. How much throttle should I also reduce at the same time of stopping the forward motion?

3.Is there a way to get it to stop faster?

4.Also, should I have it with the chaser camera on or off? I like to have it on, because I can see what I'm doing better.

5.When I'm practicing hovering, should I be out of ground effect?

The heli always seems like it wants to do its own thing, and move around without me doing anything. I'm having a real hard time trying to hover. It always wants to move back and forth like a pendulum, and it will increase speed when I do nothing. Trying to compensate seems just like I'm doing more trouble to hover it. I hate it when its steady at first, and then it just starts to move around. Its hard to get it steady once its going.
adam_jorgensen

Postby johnhlong » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:48 am

Some answers....

1.Is there a way to get a steady hands free hover?
No. Almost imposible on the real Heli also.

2.Also, when you say to slow down, pull back on the stick to stop the forward motion, reduce the throttle to counteract the tendency to climb, do I reduce the throttle all the way? I noticed allot when I'm trying to stop, I'm pulling the stick back to stop the forward motion, but it always wants to rise. How much throttle should I also reduce at the same time of stopping the forward motion?
This sounds frustrating but it is what happens in real heli flying. The combenation of throttle and elivator are a constantly changing thing as you land. The amount of throttle to cut and then add back in is variable and will depend on the Heli and exactly how you approach the landing situation. It is trial and error. Take the aproact to landing is small pieces and study each part.

3.Is there a way to get it to stop faster?
Crash! No realy. Large stick movements perficatly timed by and expert make it seen easy but a small slip and its all over....

4.Also, should I have it with the chaser camera on or off? I like to have it on, because I can see what I'm doing better.
I would have the camera off and try landing the heli in front of you.

5.When I'm practicing hovering, should I be out of ground effect?
The heli will be a bit more stable out of ground effect but you WILL need to learn to control the heli in ground effect if you want to get her back on the ground.

The heli always seems like it wants to do its own thing, and move around without me doing anything. I'm having a real hard time trying to hover. It always wants to move back and forth like a pendulum, and it will increase speed when I do nothing. Trying to compensate seems just like I'm doing more trouble to hover it. I hate it when its steady at first, and then it just starts to move around. Its hard to get it steady once its going.

The sim seems to add in a bit of oscilation after you move a control serfice. I hated it at first but am now glad it does that. When you try to fly the real Heli it also wanders and needs constant corrections.

The effect of having it get out of control is exactly what the real one does. You need to be able to give small corrections at the right time BEFORE the heli does anything strange to keep her in control. If you get to the place that you are chasing the controls you just gaureenteed your next repair bill on the real heli. Most likely a $200.00 - $500.00 crash..

You want to get to the place that you use only small slow control movements that you add just as something changes to STOP the movement not to try to add in control changes to bring her back under control.

John
Seattle, WA
USA
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby solo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:10 am

Hi
Question 1. No but that wouldn't be real in any case.
Question 2. The amount of throttle reduction required is dependent on how much you are pulling back on the cyclic stick. There are no hard or fast rules.
question 3. yes, pull back harder on the cyclic stick .
Question 4, a matter of personal choice. But I personally do not use it.
Question 5. I am not sure that ground effect is built into FMS but I think you should practice in all scenarios.
Question 6. I think the reason it swings like a pendulum is either you overcorrecting or being a little late in putting in the right correction.
So in a nutshell practice practice and practice (virtually first)......... Good luck.
Share wat u know, learn that u don't
solo

Postby solo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:20 am

Oooops, I think John and I posted very close to each other. At least the advice is consistent!! :D
Share wat u know, learn that u don't
solo

Postby adam_jorgensen » Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:04 pm

Now I have another problem. My controls sometimes seem jittery and unstable. The heli will move its tail with out me doing anything, and will sometimes jump a bit. On the calibration grid, the bars sometimes jump up really fast. When I go to take off, these erratic movements cause the heli to be even more out of control than before.
adam_jorgensen

Postby johnhlong » Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:10 pm

Soundl like noise in the interface cable.

Could be a loose connection, cold solder joint, or interferiance being picked up by your interface.

Are there any new electrical devices running nearbye?
Are you using your cell phone?
Are the battaries in the transmitter running low?

Things to check ;)

John
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby adam_jorgensen » Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:15 pm

This simulator is driving me crazy! How am I suppose to learn to fly when it just does its own thing? Its bad enough its so hard to learn to fly a heli on this sim, now my controls have to be jittery and make it insanely hard for me to control the heli. Its almost impossible to hover with it like this. Just when I almost got it hovering steady, the controls jump causing it to break my hover and fly out of control. I wouldn't know if its interference from something. I hate these kinds of problems. There the obscure kind that just happen without warning. It wasn't doing this 2 days ago. When I go to take off, keeping it steady is a nightmare. It always moves backwards with its tail down. I'm not doing anything to cause this. It should hold still the most when just taking off. At least, I have a good start, but know it just like it has a mind of its own, and moves sideways, backwards, upside down you name it. I don't like having it on non-chaser camera mode too. If it was in real life, the heli would crash into my face, because it always moves backwards into my face. I can't tell what I'm doing when it moves over there.

Here are a couple of things I did to try to stop the jumping or noise in the controls:

Tried restarting my computer several times: No effect

Tried re-calibrating my controls: No effect

Tried switching my interface plug into a different outlet: Some improvement, less jittery and jumpy but still occasionally jumps and moves without control. Still very hard to control and getting it to hover.

I sure hope the real thing won't be as frustrating as this.

:angry:
adam_jorgensen

Postby johnhlong » Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:34 pm

:( Sorry to hear you are having so much problems.

Helicopters aren't easy, but they shouldn't be jumping all over the place like you describe.

Are you building a real RC Helicopter?
If so, you realy need to learn how to fly without the chase mode on or you WILL crash the real helicopter into your face when you try.

The heli starting out by going tail down and towards you seems to indicate that the trim on the elivator if not correct.
Did you happen to change setting lately?

Do you use the rransmitter for real flying also?

John
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby adam_jorgensen » Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:24 pm

Yes. I am going to be building a real helicopter. Its called the hornet. Its a micro heli and I heard their harder to fly then the bigger ones. :(

I think I'll fittle with the trimming a bit. But it has stopped jumping a bit. At least, enough to control the heli :), but I would like to know how to fix it right away incase it happens again. It just kinda started working again and thats what worries me. It could start up again anytime.

I also use my transmitter to fly my r/c airplane, and Im going to be using it for my hornet.

I just don't like having it without the case mode because without it on, it seems harder to fly it. Plus, when it flies towards me and over me, it confuses me and I usually crash. And it drifts far away till the point where i can't see it properly. Sometimes, I can't tell if its facing me or facing away from me when its a little far away. I just get a better feel for it with the chaser camera on, and I can see my mistakes better, and can tell better if it needs more tail, pitch, etc. But I guess in real life, it will be like it without it.

Its allot harder then I though. I hope in real life, I will manage. That wandering and overall unstableness is what freaks me out. I was hoping to pratic hovering my hornet in my house, because the hornet is also an indoor helicopter, but with all that wandering, it will crash into the wall in no time. I hope in real life I won't get into any kind of situations where I'm going to crash. I want to avoid those situations at all times. I don't want the heli to start off slow, and then all of the sudden go really fast and I can't stop it. I can't afford situations like that. I really hope things turn around for me on the sim and it can really help me.
adam_jorgensen

Postby johnhlong » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:15 am

Your on the right path, just over ancious. :(

You need to aproach the sim as if you had that $$$$ investment in front of you and your wife is watching from the other room to make sure you don't fly into the new lamp!

So........

Step 1.
Learn to fly on the sim using the same slow step by step process you would lern to fly the heli if you didn't have the sim. (only difference is this won't cost you as much in repairs).

Step 2.
Here are some sites that plan a step by step process to learn to fly the helicopters.
:)
:D

Step 3.
Take your time. Practice as if your life, helicopter and wallet depended on it (because they do ;) )

Remember:::::

I just started to fly helicopters about 4 months ago (before it started to snow). I now am just finishing up my first gallon of fuel. Because of the change in the weather about the time I built my new helicopter I had to spend about 1 month on the sim before I could take my new helicopter outside to play with it. When I finally did I was able to do some hovering without crashing it. So far only one small crash and it only cost me $14.95 for a snaped landing strut. Don't get me wrong, it was VERRY scarry the first couple of times but I survived.

My first fue hours on the sim I swore there was a problem with the sim, but it turns out the heli is a hand full until you get the nack of it and then all of a sudden you find yourself being able to control it.

I do use a training gear (Ring type) and it has also saved me big time, but the best investment is the time on the sim.

You can call and chatt if you like.

John
(425) 837-0802
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Next

Return to General Discussions