[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Unethical Freeware Distribution

Unethical Freeware Distribution

Postby DOA » Thu May 01, 2003 7:11 pm

Just would like to point out that there is someone on ebay selling a contoller/computer adapter with FMA software. I noticed on the frontpage that the author didnt mind selling products and including FMS if it was prominently displayed that the software was freeware. I almost bought this software from ebay. I just happened to do a search to get more info on the software and came across this site. I have been wanting a R/C simulator for quite some time and will download it this evening. Ah the aution link:
DOA

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu May 01, 2003 8:32 pm

What's unethical about SELLING an interface and GIVING AWAY the FMS software with it ?

You can't download the computer interface hardware free from the Web. You either buy it or construct it yourself.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby DOA » Fri May 02, 2003 1:29 pm

Quote from the author: "One exception could be made if the FMS is been shipped with some other product; this may be allowed, if you have the written permission of the authors first. The condition remains that it is evident to the authors, that you do not make any profit from it, and it has to be obvious to the customers as well that the FMS is freely available."

I believe the author made this clear so that users would know that the software is free and that they have a choice to either build the interface yourself, or buy an interface elsewhere (possibly cheaper). The point is that the seller of this auction bundelled the software and hardware and sold it as a package, instead of selling the hardware and including a free copy of FMS that is readily availible at their home site. You know I really dont care anymore. I didnt purchase it, I downloaded the software last night, and I just wanted to make the author aware that someone was using his product in an unethical mannor to make some dough.
DOA

Postby Ken Hewitt » Sat May 03, 2003 3:36 pm

I am surprised you only found 1, last time I did a search on ebay for FMS I got hundreds of sales.

Ken.
Ken Hewitt[br][url]ken@welwyn.demon.co.uk[/url][br]
Ken Hewitt

Return to General Discussions