[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Converting .mod files to .mqo

Converting .mod files to .mqo

Converting .mod files to .mqo

Postby lowglow » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:51 am

Does anyone know of a program for converting .mod files to .mqo
lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 am

Hi,

try the search function with "convert" or "conversion", you'll find a thread about "UMC2", which should do. Whenever reverse-engineering existing models, you should be aware that the copyright issue is a very touchy one! Always contact the original author before (unintentionally) stepping onto someones toes...

Good luck,
Frank
TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:30 am

Hi Frank
Thanks for that I have already tryed "UMC2", seems to work sometimes and not others. Only wanted a program because I hade been sent a file from someone and it was saved in .mod , hade all of the other files for FMS but not an x file.
Have got the problem sorted now though. What project are you working on at the moment? I have seen some of your work its awsome wish I knew as much about building these things as you obviously do.
lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi lowglow,

good to hear things work for you now. If something in UMC2 doesn't work like you think it should, give a little notice to "plastic_bonsai" in this forum. He's the creator of the software and very responsive to feedback & requests.

Thanks for your praise, I'm currently working on a Stinson Reliant. You'll find a very brief building log , things always slow down tremendously when it comes to texturing...

Kind regards,
Frank
TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:14 am

Hi Frank
That looks as though it will be a very nice plane. I can see how things slow down when you are doing the texture I am familiar with both your Fieseler F2 Tiger and Focke-Wulf 56 "Stösser", the texture .bmp files for both of these planes amaze me I understand that you use The Gimp for creating your textures I find it interesting how the .bmp images are solid color with the panels that map to the model almost looking like they are in 3D how do you determine were the different panels wing, fuselage etc go in the image?What version of Meta do you use to map them onto the model?
I am currently working on a Fokker/Platz V17 I am stuck on vintage planes at the moment. I have just recently finished a 1913 Ponnier Racer.
I also always like to make my model look like they are a model and make sure there is a glow engine in there somewhere even if it is hidden partly by a dummy engine, tip my Ponnier upside down and hidding in the cowling behind the dummy radial engine is an OS 4 stroker mounted inverted.
Regards Chris
lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi Chris,

actually, I don't use meta anymore, because I became unsatisfied with the texture mapping. It usually ended up cutting the whole plane in rather small patches where I would have preferred something seamless.
I've been switching over to , which is freeware as well and offers rather advanced unwrapping tools.

The workflow is completely different to meta: You don't create the texture layout first, then put it onto the model, but rather unwrap the model to a UV-layout, a flat 2D-Version of the mesh. After the UV-layout is exported, the rest of the work is indeed done with the GIMP (or Photoshop/Paintshop, whatever you prefer).

Making a model look like a model with glow engine, servos etc. is a good design decision, but I prefer to model after real world sources because I might want to put the models into other simulators as well. :wink:

Kind regards,
Frank
TreeHugger

Postby Kevinator_9 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:38 am

That UCM2 works a treat!
Kevinator_9

Postby lowglow » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 pm

lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:32 am

Hi,

Blender is indeed more complex and (much) more powerful than meta, but you won't need all of the functionality right away.
In the modeling department I think the interface is a bit clumsy, but UV-mapping works a charm.

Good places to start with UV-mapping:

and of course the forum

Good luck "blending",
Frank

P.S.: Your new Avatar tells me something is about to be released soon, right? Does look promising, indeed!
TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:11 am

Hi Frank
Thankyou for those links I will indeed have a good look as time allows.
The Avatar is my Avro 539 Falcon that I made a couple of months back. I will get around to publishing it sometime when I can convince myself that it is finish, I keep tinkering, mainly with the .par file. I can email it to you if you wish.
I have also left a post here

listing some of the vintage planes I have made and there preview pictures.
Again, thanks Frank
Regards Chris
lowglow

Postby lowglow » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:11 am

lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:43 pm

TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:01 am

lowglow

Return to General Discussions