[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - tutorial??? - has anyone written one.

tutorial??? - has anyone written one.

Postby manleystanley » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Been pulling my hair out trying to do a landscape. The only tutorial I can find is practicly wothless; it's only reasigning textures. For a couple of months now I have been trying to do a neibrohood play ground landscape, with playground equipment to fly through/around but it just keeps crashing FMS. Has someone or could someone write a good/new tutorial for this?
manleystanley

Postby ggunners » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:35 pm

manleystanley,

This is the only tutorial I know of....

Is it the same one?

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby manleystanley » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:00 pm

Yup, that's the one. Got so mad at my atempts at a landscape for FMS that I scraped the entire project. No matter what I did "Green hill kiddy park" crashed FMS. I think it may have been way too many objects.

Oh, ya. I keep forgetting to thank perry for that xyz prog it was helpful.
manleystanley

Postby phildc » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:28 am

The restriction on number of objects is quite frustrating.
My landscape 'Death tower' that can be found on this forum is close to the maximum.

Philippe

Brussels Belgium

PC +RC, FMS PIC cable, flight recorder, transmitter mixer real time viewer, servo link geometry graphical calculator, .... see 'Articles' at

phildc

Postby Perry » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:35 pm

You're welcome for FMSXYZ ... :)
Evidently there is a need for a good Landscaping tutorial
Nope I don't have one ... I've beat my brains against the wall too.
A few things may help that I've picked up here and there.
1. Do Not create triangles in your objects. It will crash FMS.
If you need to create a triangular piece, make a quad but pull the ends together, but don't join them. I discovered that even this crashes 8.3 if the ends are pulled too close. though I have been informed that problem has been taken care of and will be released with the next version. This triangle issue pertains only to Landscape objects.
2. Keep texture maps to a minimum .. too many will crash FMS. Sometimes you can work around this by including quads from different objects under the same texture map. This can tend to get messy and hard to edit, but there are ways to cope if you are determined to include more objects. The moral here is plan carefully.
These were my greatest frustrations in working with Landscaping ... hope it helps someone else.
Perry

Postby Guyon » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:51 pm

Well Perry,

The triangle tip is almost woth a tutorial in itself. It could save hours and hours of fixing a model.
Guyon

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:36 pm

I need to clarify that the triangle issue pertains only to Landscape objects.
From all I've seen when it comes to flying models, FMS uses triangles in your objects readily.
Don't ask me why the difference.
Perry

Postby phildc » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:44 pm

I think it's quite possible to get results!

The base, as already said:

There you will discover how maps fit, the coordinate system, aso.

Then look at my "death tower":

((and other standard landscapes, like Switzerland...))

It only uses the ground maps and trees. It is done for V7 (not tested under 8)
Try modifying the position of one object at a time and learn...
I started with 16 ground maps numbered A1,A2,.... (big number painted on the bmp)

You need a text editor for the parms (.scn file)
An image editor for the bmp's: maps, heigths, sky)

be aware that you have to limit the number of objects (too many objects, or an object missing or misspelled immediately gives strange results)

and metasequoia if you do 3D objects like a building (keep this for later!)

Make good notes of what you discover, and I'm confident you will soon get results. And maybe you can write a tutorial for us all...

Philippe
Brussels
phildc

Postby phildc » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:20 pm

Any progress in landscape creation?

Philippe
phildc

Model and Landscape ROCKS!

Postby Spikestrip » Tue May 09, 2006 2:14 am

Spikestrip

Postby phildc » Tue May 09, 2006 9:57 am

Spikestrip, I'm happy that you enjoyed the landscape and the model.

In fact, the 'combo' was designed for a challenge during an 'open door day' at our club. Points were given when the shadow of the plane was brought over the color dots and when flying thru the gate and the tower, within a limited lapse of time. The winner won his height in pepsi packs (pepsi was one of our sponsors, as you could see).

Phil.
phildc

Return to Landscapes