[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Directions required

Directions required

Directions required

Postby judyandgary@mcmedia.com.a » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:40 am

Hi there,I have just downloaded from Northern clubs site but got no directions as to how to connect transmitter to computer or start /run program, is there a manual, text or directions hidden somewhere I haven't found yet or did I miss something,
Regards
Gary
judyandgary@mcmedia.com.a

Postby shaul_eiz » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:30 pm

shaul_eiz

Directions Needed

Postby Michael Coalson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I certainly agree that a general set of instructions are needed. I started flying my plane without a simulator and have found the simulator more difficult than the plane. Surely some kind and knowledgeable person could post a link that would lead anyone through a general set of instructions. :)
Mike
Novice at RC Flying
Michael Coalson

Re: Directions Needed

Postby aeropal » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:58 pm

-
aeropal

Postby shaul_eiz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:35 pm

Aeropal, I disagree with you this time. A new user of an application, even a freeware is naturally expecting to find some kind of a tutorial.
When he does not find one, he is asking where this tutorial can be found. We should boldly admit that there is no such thing as an FMS Tutorial.
shaul_eiz

Directions or Instructions for a new user

Postby Michael Coalson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Aeropal
Thanks for your interest and reply. However, after making the suggested searches I was not successful. Perhaps if you would be kind enough to send a link I could find what ever is posted to address my needs, and apparently the needs of at least a few others.
Mike :)
Novice at RC Flying
Michael Coalson

Postby Steve Lewin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:55 am

Well there's always the "Manual" that comes with FMS and is installed in FMS/Doc/Manual. Unfortunately it's very out of date and not too brilliant.

But the catch is that before we can post a link to better documentation someone will have had to sit down and spend a load of their own time writing the documentation. I haven't done that, has anyone else ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby shaul_eiz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:31 am

So we have established the need to write a new manual. Before we begin, we need to establish the target audience, break the manual into chapters and distribute the task between as many writers as possible.
Now, does anyone has an administrator access to this site? We will have to post the manual somehow, and in a very eye-catching manner. Comment, Gentlemen?
shaul_eiz

Postby Steve Lewin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:23 am

Neat idea Shaul.....Let's a assume that we mainly need a "How to get started and basic FMS controls etc" for people new to FMS. I've been playing with FMS for too long to be much good at working out what a newcomer needs to know but I don't mind doing part of the writing up if anyone can design the contents of the "book".

Gary, Mike....over to you. What is it that you need from these "directions" ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby shaul_eiz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:53 pm

We need at least the following:
Introduction:
What is FMS (entry level, free sim), What you can expect from it (fair simulation level, very easy to use, works with joystick, keyboard, tons of models), what you cannot expect from it (complex flight conditions, high quality graphics).

Installation:
How to install software

Set up:
What are the control possibilities (Keyboard, joystick, transmitter) and how to connect them (possibly, link to this sticky post). How to calibrate. How to map (separate sections for helicopters & fixed-wing).

First flight:
How to select a plane/helicopter and background (examples). How to do basic operations. Some tips.

Then, we will have to write an appendix with a good description of all options (Zoom types, for example must be explained).

Any more ideas?
shaul_eiz

Return to Windows-Version