[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - XP blue screen and reboot

XP blue screen and reboot

Postby enigmabomb » Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:24 am

I am on XP, when I try to run FMS I get a blue screen, and then a prompt reboot. Any ideas? something about fxtll.dll I cant see, it goes to fast.

Thanks-
Josh
enigmabomb

Postby Pooky » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:26 am

I know this is probably a little late however are you using a 'proper' version of XP, i found that when i was using a duplicate of XP my PC rebooted just about every other day. In my case it was all part of xp's master plan to eliminate piracy. I am now running xp from my own personal bought cd and everything is much better. However one argument i have against xp is that it isnt very compatible with some of the games i play like Half Life TFC, and i needed to update most of my motherboard drivers to sort such problems out. I was wondering if maybe anyone has used FMS under XP's compatibility modes for Win98 or WinME, i hear that for other software it can greatly improve performance. ???
Pooky

Postby sanjay » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:50 pm

it maybe that the copy of xp you were using was a beta and hence you had some problems.

More likely is that you were experiencing the usual MSoft bug and its fix.

i.e: Reinstall windows and your problems will go away...
/sanjay
sanjay

Postby chrispower » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:12 am

I;ve got exactly the same problem. I have a new computer with Windows XP, (from Sony, hence I assume the XP is good). When I start FMS I get a blue screen and the computer reboots. The blue screen is to quick to read and the pause button has no effect. The other odd thing I noticed is that after the reboot the installation file has dissappeared, this though is probably due to XP restoring the computer when it reboots.
chrispower

Postby sanjay » Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:50 am

yes. I have one machine with XP on which just starting FMS reboots my pc. No blue screen or anything just an immediate reboot.

This machine has an ATI ALl in Wonder Pro graphics card on a VIA K7TPro mother board. I have had problems with this graphics card and motherboard combo in the past on win2k. In fact ATI's own TV Tuner software used to cause hard lockups of this machine till I upgraded to the latest drivers for the ATI All In Wonder Pro.
/sanjay
sanjay

Postby tvtech » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:05 pm

I to suffer a Blue screen and reboot on my sony laptop running windows xp Home edition ,Sony PCG-FX401 Using ATI 8mb 3D Rage Mobility Graphics . Installing and running in 95 or 98 compatability mode makes no difference ...Help :(

ps i also have a desktop pc running FMS 2.7 and windows xp with no problems whatever.. :0
tvtech

Postby sanjay » Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:01 am

Hmm.. Maybe the common feature is the ATI graphics card. Have you tried to upgrade the graphics driver for the ATI card? ATI recently released a new set of drivers for my All in Wonder Pro that did solve some issues with other software though it had no effect on FMS.
/sanjay
sanjay

Postby enigmabomb » Sun May 05, 2002 7:01 am

It's a laptop, it came with XP. I don't copy stuff. Anyhow, I have a trident card, so their goes your theory! =) How frustrating it is! I wan't to be able to play FMS anywhere.

-Josh
enigmabomb

Postby sanjay » Sun May 05, 2002 8:07 am

Go into the XP control panel and open the System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery section and uncheck the Automatic Restart option in the System failure section.

This will at least prevent XP from restarting before you can see the exact cause of the error.

Also see my earlier post on a similar problem that I was able to resolve on my ATI All in Wonder pro/WinXP/VIA Motherboard VIA motherboard. I dont know what kind of motherboard your laptop uses but if it uses a VIA chipset it is possible the description I posted could help you.
/sanjay
sanjay

Return to Windows-Version