[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - variable wind conditons - General

variable wind conditons - General

Postby vincee » Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:29 pm

:) :) :) My heart felt thanks to Michael Moeller. I must say this it is because of u & the rest of the team all over the world within FMS has made RC flying possible for me.I was lost at the begining but once I had FMS down loaded I worked with just the keyboards.(surveying the market on price & type of aircraft to train on) Upon purchasing a complete system ie Tx,Rx & ground equip. I had a friend to work on the radio.Today I have had just 2 training sessions from my instructor & he said I am a fast learner but I told him NO it's because of Michael Moeller,the team & FMS.Thank You once again.
Now for the question I have - is there any possibility of altering the wind condition as well as directions? I do know thermal effect is there but I do not find it being real "much as when I fly in the field" . Suggestions anyone?
vincee

Postby grayback46 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:27 am

Excellent suggestion. I've been asked many times if the FMS program is "real feel" from people that haven't flown R/C before. Varying wind conditions would create a better "real feel" experience. Ask anyone flying a sailplane making a downwind turn at low altitude!
grayback46

Postby Blue_Hog » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:13 am

Blue_Hog

Postby davstub » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:23 pm

Just want to add my vote for the inclusion of wind effects to this superb program. Turbulence would be great too!
Thank you.
davstub

Postby DiMarzio » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:17 pm

Hi,

I'm new in flying RC helicopters and did most of the learning on the FMS sim. It helped me out to get used to the controls alot. But now I've flown for real I feel that flying for real is so much more difficult just because of the WIND and the sim has almost lost its purpose :(
It would be GREAT to see this feature being added to FMS. Specially variable wind because this is the hardest part to compensate when flying...

just my 2 (newbie) cents

Furthermore: great sim! :)
DiMarzio

Postby jbalat » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:58 am

I think wind is very important, especially for helicopters. I have never seen a helicopter fly hands off yet FMS lets you put the heli into a hover and go for a cup of coffee.

Dont get me wrong, I think it kicks ass on Microsofts flight sim however wind would add more realism and give you a better feeling of what to expect on the field. eg. Trying to make downwind turns 3 meters off the ground... You could probably have a windsock on the runway or use a stick figure overlay to indicate wind direction and strength

The other problem when trying to land is that it is not easy to see the runway in relation to the helicopter due to the fact that it is not easy to turn your head. Perhaps you can hook up the mouse to the head/camera position.

It could go into manual mode if you hold down the mouse button and then go back to tracking the heli when you let go ?
jbalat

Postby ¡Oracle! » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:27 pm

Variable wind (any wind at all) would be a very welcome addition to FMS. If possible with different wind conditions near ground level vs above ground level.

My instructor took me out for a "turbulent conditions" flight the other day and all I can say is WOW! I had my hands full keeping my Eagle 2 tracking in a straight line. The thing was acting like a weathervane at first. There is a pronounced difference in speed when you're flying into the wind vs. with the wind.

Fortunately, the wind effect was almost nothing as I made the turn to final leg as I came in for landing.

Having this behavior modeled would be invaluable for learning to deal with the surprises mother nature can toss your way.
¡Oracle!

Postby CarlOwen » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:05 pm

I totally agree, if you could add some random wind it would make it much more realistic.

I fact I crashed my heli two days ago because I was practicing some more daring manovers on FMS to the point I could do it with my eyes closed. I then went outside to try it for real, I forgot for a moment how much harder it is with even a little wind! CRASH!

Please, Please add some random wind! It would save us all a lot of money in crashes
???
CarlOwen

Postby NewFlyer » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:53 am

Hi All, nice to meet you. I received FMS with a cable I purchased, it's a really nice simulator. I think adjustable wind would be awsome. Not only would users get a realistic effect but the hills would be great for slope soaring.
NewFlyer

Postby glinkot » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:10 am

Hi,

I'd just like to add my vote to the fray!

Wind (even in a really simple implementation at first) would really make the difference. The ability to have some randomness around gusts and varying wind wind direction would be even better!

The sim is fantastic!

Many thanks
glinkot

Postby ggunners » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:58 pm

Please download Alpha version 8.1. Play with the wind. Depending on the model and the "wind" settings it can be quite realistic to the point of crashing on every landing. :D

-- ggunners
ggunners

Return to Comments and Suggestions