[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Two things definitely needed in the program

Two things definitely needed in the program

Postby Campy » Tue Oct 30, 2001 3:18 am

Two things are needed to make this program as close
to perfect as it can be.
1. Allow programing of wind.
2. Put in a REALISTIC view of the model as the pilot
would see it if they were flying their own model.
When you fly your own plane you can see the plane
AND the ground at the same time. Having to circle
several (?) times, each time a little lower, in
order to see the ground for landing is tedious and
non-realistic at best.
Campy

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 31, 2001 3:28 am

Wid programming would be fine. AS to pilot's view, I think you're missing the point that this is primarily an RC simulator. I haven't yet been able to climb into the cockpit of one of my scale models. There are a lot of other aircraft simulators that already do the cockpit thing rather well.
Jay
Jay

Postby Jeroen » Wed Oct 31, 2001 9:34 am

You are missing the point I think. I too like to be able to see the model and the runway simultaneous. In this way you can see where you are with your model relative to the place you want to land. Otherwise you are not able to judge whether you are to high/low left or right from the runway.
Jeroen

Postby Steve Lewin » Wed Oct 31, 2001 10:38 am

Unfortunately simulators have to work on monitor screens. This gives a very much lower field of vision than in the real world. It is simply not possible to get a realistic view. Unless perhaps you would like to start flying in the real world with your head in a box with a screen sized cutout in the front at the appropriate distance from your eyes :).

It's for this reason that new fliers who have started learning with simulators nearly always fly way too low, a phenomenon often observed by RC instructors.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby johnhlong » Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:38 pm

What if the bottom 1 inch of the screen was a low angle shot of the runway, pilot and plane?

Or maybe a map like on Microsoft Sim to show where the plane is relative to the runway.

Way cool would be if it was translucent (You could see through it) like a ghost image.

John
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby Jay » Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:01 am

In my case using the zoom feature of FMS allows a view of the end of the runway as well as the position and orientation of the plane to set up for a landing. Using the larger wingspan models will also help newcomers to RC. Some of the available landscapes are also allow a better view of the runway at ground level.
Jay

Postby Georg » Mon Nov 26, 2001 5:56 am

I like the idea to be able to see both, the plane AND the planned landing point, together (from the view of th RC pilot). 3 suggestions come into my mind:

1) Specifying the suggested landing point: This could be the AIRCRAFT_POSITION from the *.scn file, but for some interesting challanges it would be nice to be able to specify the landing point by clicking into the map. I.e. a menu point 'Landing point L' changes to top view, shows an appropriate message and lets the pilot click to set the x/y coordinates of the suggested landing point (z coordinate derived from height of landscape).

2) Showing plane and landing point together, if possible: the target of the camera shouldn't be the center of the plane, but instead some point on a direct line between the plane and the landing point, such, that the plain is just completely visible on screen plus some space around it. If both, plane and landing point, can be shown, the target of the camera should be the middle of the line between both.

3) Showing the landing point instead of the plane: with help of a hot key (i.e. 5 on the keypad) the target of the camera should move along the line between near the plane to near the suggested landing point, This transition should be smooth, but logaritmic and simulate, what a real RC pilot does: turning his head shortly, to focus on the landing point, then turn back to the model.

My best regards
Georg

PS: I really like FMS. Good work!
Georg

Postby Airbatix » Wed Nov 28, 2001 5:52 am

A great way to know where the runway is, modify you Heightdist file, add some realy high mountan's parallel to the runway (at the end's), I'w modifyed the Skytex to, added som letters ( N_E_W_S) This helps me a lot know where I'M at the field try it out, and see. (remember to make backups)
Airbatix
of Norway
Getting high by flying low
Airbatix

Postby Maia » Wed Nov 28, 2001 5:00 pm

I found a good way to view both the plane and the runway. What I do is the following:
1) I use the Numpad keys (with Num Lock on) to place the pilot near the end of runway (behind the plane)
2) After, I rotate the pilot's view in order to see the whole runway.
3) Then I decrese the zoom 3 or 4 times until I get a view of the runway (whole) and some of the surrounding.
4) Next I take off!!!!!

When coming to land, you can see the runway when you are at a fairly high height, and you can note the difference.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm not that good in english!
[br]=> Maia <=
Maia

Postby Michael Guslick » Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:06 pm

What I'd really like would be a secondary view in a small window on the screen - the main screen would be the unzoomed view showing the ground/runway as well as the model in the distance, while the inset secondary view would be a zoomed in view of the model to see the plane's attitude.

Similar to this screenshot from RealFlight G2:
Michael Guslick

Postby Rockfist Rogan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:54 am

Thanks for the information about changing the pilot's viewpoint with the number keys, Maia.
I wonder what else is (apparently) undocumented?...
Rockfist Rogan

Postby mattb » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:17 am

I think one feature that would be both helpful and realistic would be a pan-view option. There would be two modes, one would be tracking the plane (current system) the other could be engaged with a button/key (like a mouse click) in this mode the viewpoint would stop tracking the plane and would be adjustable by either keys, buttons (like joystick buttons/hat switch) or moving the mouse, or even by holding down a button and linking the view to the position of the joystick/TX stick (would not be able to control plane in this view). Then you could glance at the runway, an object, etc.

-Matt Bailey
mattb

Postby carbonke » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:26 pm

What do you think about a section of the screen (bottom part) to sort of compress like a fish eye lens effect.

It could sort of squeeze in more height in that little monitor screen. Maybe that will help to better judge the height.
carbonke

Return to Comments and Suggestions