[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Interface for Hitec Laser 4 - Interface cable info needed

Interface for Hitec Laser 4 - Interface cable info needed

Postby The Dark Overlord » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:13 am

Group,

I have a Hitec Laser 4 transmitter and am in need of an interface cable, or info on design so I can make one myself. The radio does have a trainer plug, a 6 pin din located on the rear of the case. Any help would be appreciated very much. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your replies.

Joe Bennett - The Dark Overlord :)
The Dark Overlord

Postby Steve Lewin » Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:07 am

Any design specified for Futaba also works with Hitec. There are many of them around. Start from the FMS handbook on the main site.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby Mike Roberts » Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:43 pm

Joe

You will find even more info on my website below. Go to: RC projects>FMS.

Cheers :D Mike
Mike Roberts

Postby The Dark Overlord » Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:34 pm

Mike & Group,

Thanks, have been to your site a number of times. I have also printed out the FMS manual with all its info on various interfacing circuits. I have had ABSOLUTELY no luck with building a compatible setup from any info that has been referenced here, or in the manual. It seems that everyone want to sell me an interface, but when it comes down to just providing the EXACT hookup that will work, no one wishes to be that helpful. I am computer/electronic familiar, and feel that I should have no problem following directions on how to make a cable that will go between my computer and my transmitter if I can just get the correct info. If no one here can be of assistance in that regard, that I will continue my search elsewhere, but I did want to give the resident gurus another go at it before I looked elsewhere. Again, your help is solicited and much appreciated.

Joe Bennett :)
The Dark Overlord

Postby Steve Lewin » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:22 am

If you would like help perhaps you could give some details of exactly which circuits you have built and what results you get. While it may relieve your frustration a little just saying "ABSOLUTELY no luck" doesn't give us much to work on.

I've built a number of the serial i/fs from the FMS handbook and they're in regular use with various Futaba and Hitec Txs with ABSOLUTELY no problems. I had to modify it for JR but that's all. All the the other i/f designs also work if built correctly.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:00 pm

Joe

I believe that my website has very complete information. Many have simply used the information I have displayed to build their own interfaces. I also have included setup instructions in much more detail than the manual (if you have not followed these to the letter I recommend that you do). Yes I sell interfaces but I have also gone out of my way to share the experience I have built up - in the fine spirit that Michael and Roman Möller have made this program available.
I hope you do solve making an interface work - and that you will share the learning for everyone elses benefit.

Mike :D
Mike Roberts

Postby The Dark Overlord » Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:44 am

Steve, Mike, and Group,

I have tried to diligently follow the instuctions located in the FMS manual to create a cable for hooking my Hitec Laser 4 transmitter to my computers parallel port. I suspect that something was amiss as the transmitter was not recognized by FMS. I will admit that I did have to use a 5.1 volt Zener as opposed to the 4.7 volt Zener shown in the drawings, but that should still have kept the voltage withing tolerances. I did use the 680 ohm resistance though. All else was followed as per instructions. The Hitec does have a long toggle switch for the buddy option, and I tried the transmitter both with the switch in its normal position as well as being held in the on position. Still no luck. Mike, I will look again at your page and based on my past experience will look at your info again in a new light. I had hoped to be able to use the more simple, less costly circuits to create my cable, but if the more complex ones will work, then that might be the better option for me. Please don't take my comments as a complaint about anyones willingness or unwillingness to help others in this forum, but only as my own frustration at not being able to create such a simple cable interface myself. I have read most of the posts here, and do have a lot of respect for those of you who have taken the time to help others with questions and problems. Please keep up that type of support, and continue to have the patience to deal with those of use who might think we know more than we actually do.

The Dark Overlord

Postby Steve Lewin » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:20 am

"It seems that everyone want to sell me an interface, but when it comes down to just providing the EXACT hookup that will work, no one wishes to be that helpful."

Sure sounds like complaining to me. BTW I don't sell interfaces though I've made quite a few for friends/clubmates.

I've never had much luck with the minimum part count parallel port version. The serial port version (with all of 2 transistors and 4 resistors) has always seemed more reliable and less dependent on PC port setup.

But a few simple checks :

You are using Win 98/WinME or earlier aren't you ? The simple i/fs don't work with Win 2K/XP

Is your printer port set up as ECP/EPP in the BIOS ? Does it use the default resources or have you set it up in FMS ?

Are you using the correct pin on the buddy skt ? I assume it's the Futaba/Hitec standard 6-pin DIN plug. Some of the diagrams are a bit confusing unless you read the associated text carefully. Looking at the back of the plug (the side you're soldering onto) with the gap at the bottom you want pin 2, the 2nd pin from the left. All my plugs have the pin numbers embossed in the plastic so it's easy to see the correct one.

It's worth connecting the ground lead/screen to both pin6 (the centre pin) and the metal sleeve. Some Tx seem to ignore one or the other.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby The Dark Overlord » Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:55 am

Steve,

You're right, I guess it was complaining. At least in part. More frustration on my part than anything else.

I am using win98se and the printer port is setup as ECP/EPP with the default setup from windows. I did not change it in FMS.

I will check to insure that my cable is setup as per your info and see what happens. Thanks for your response.

The Dark Overlord

Return to Serialport-PPM-Interface