[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Simulator Serial Port Set Up. - Radio Channel/Simulator Set Up

Simulator Serial Port Set Up. - Radio Channel/Simulator Set Up

Postby Kentailwash » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:42 am

Hi, I just purchased an E-Sky HoneyBee Helicopter and I tried to set up my radio to my PC throught the serial PIC port. Everything seems to work but I can't figure out how to map the channels to my radio. What does inv & exp mean? Is there any written instructions on how to do this? It is sad to have such a good program that I can't use with my radio. I have learned to fly my helicopter on the keyboard but it is a world of difference from a radio joystick! If anyone can help I would be forever greatful.
V/R ken
Kentailwash

Postby Mike Roberts » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:37 pm

Ken

You will find detailed setup instructions on my website below.
inv means invert - get control working in correct direction.
exp is exponential characteristic - more gentle control near centre of stick. My view is don't use this.

Cheers :D

Mike
Mike Roberts

Postby Kentailwash » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:50 am

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your help. I have been out of RC modeling for quite a while. In the old days helicopters were expensive and hard to fly (I bought a lot of wood blades and even had a real helicopter pilot tell me the model was alot harder to fly than a real one!) but with advances in technology and design, the honeybee hovers with little imput from me. I am determined to master a helicopter. Thanks again, Ken
Kentailwash

Postby DoDoFlier » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:32 pm

Hello, I too have a Esky 4 channel transmitter with the serial cable that came with the bird. I also can't get it to work at all. I'm not very computer literate and I checked out Mike's link but found nothing I could understand. I sure would like to give this software a fly. Is there a easy to understand what to do??? I mean, if when you clicked on "Control" and I could point the software to the serial port, I'm thinking I could be trying it out??? The choices listed, I don't really understand as its not just listed as "serial port". I hope someone out here can help me, thanks in advance.
Jerry
DoDoFlier

Postby Kentailwash » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:47 am

Hi Jerry, I understand your frustration. I will try to help but if you still have problems I would suggest you find a computer "nerd" to give you a hand. I am assuming you have already downloaded FMS. I have Windows XP and had problems getting the FMS to work. I made it work by doing the following: You should be able to fly the "hughes" helicopter with your keyboard right now (without your radio connected". If not load the software and open the program up. Click onto "landscape" and select "world" . Then go to "model" and select "Hughes". I found the Hughes model best simulates the HoneyBee. Then go to control and select keyboard. Print or remember your main keys to control your model on your PC (G & B keys control the throttle). Then go to simulation and select start. This should get your simulator at least flyable with the keyboard. Plug in your cable from the radio to the serial port on the back of your computer. If you have 2 ports you may have to try them both but it should be the top one. Go back to "control" and select the appropriate blocks listed on Mikes website. I can't remember exactly where they are but I copied them for you. They are:Start FMS. Click on Controls (‘alt‘ + C), select ‘Analog control..’. Then select 'Serial PIC-interface'. Press 'Resources'.
Select COM1 or COM2 as appropriate. In the Protocol section select '19200 Baud / 0xFF Sync'. Ok
To set up the controls press Mapping/Calibration. Connect your transmitter. Press 'Calibrate' and follow the instructions. Then set up the Mapping. Move your rudder stick to see what channel it is on and enter the number in the channel box. Continue through the elevator, ailerons, throttle. The next 4 are the controls for the helicopters. I set these up in the same order as the first 4. The requirement for Inv (inverse) is best found by trial and error. Press 'OK' and you should be flying.

Hope this helped, Ken
Kentailwash

Postby DoDoFlier » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:29 pm

Hey now Ken, thanks for the advice but it didn't work. I think the problem is I need to point the serial port to the software, which I can't find how to do this. I am using Windows 98 on a gateway computer (an old one built in 98). I have always been able to fly it with the keyboards but thats no fun. Anyone else have an idea to help me out???
DoDoFlier

Return to Serialport-PPM-Interface