[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Ken Hewitt's PIC interface - Fantastic!

Ken Hewitt's PIC interface - Fantastic!

Postby Michael Guslick » Fri Dec 21, 2001 7:57 pm

A few weeks ago I grabbed a Futaba buddy box to use with FMS. I tried assembling Vitaly's circuit for the PIC interface, but I just couldn't get it working. I considered building my own circuit with a PIC16F628, MAX232 and other components (which I am a bit more familiar with), but I figured I'd give Ken Hewitt's kit a try - at only 15 bucks shipped, it was slightly less than the parts that I had already gotten from Radio Shack.

The kit arrived the other day, and I was pleased to find that absolutely everything needed was included, right down to the cable, strain reliefs and even a small white styrene end plate to finish off the plastic housing nicely. The tiny little PCB was professionally etched and silkscreened with component locations, and I must compliment Ken on finding a 6-pin DIN connector that is much better than the ones I had ordered from Digi-Key (a large electronics supplier here in the states).

The kit didn't include any instructions, but I found them immediately as a zipped Word file on Ken's webpage. Soldering the components onto the board went quickly, and the hardest part of assembly was simply squeezing the strain relief through the hole in the styrene end plate! After finishing assembly, I hooked it up to my Futaba buddy box (had to hook it up to a power supply, as the biuddy box came with no batteries), loaded FMS, set the interface settings to work with a serial PIC at 9600bps, and calibrated my sticks. After determining which channels needed inverting, I was off and crashing spectacularly in no time! (Oh well, I've got all winter to become proficient).

So for anybody considering Ken's interface kit, I highly recommend getting it. If you're a total beginner with electronics, you may want to learn a little first (assembling the kit does require you to know how to read resistor color codes, what a zener diode looks like, etc.), but most of the people here would probably have minimal difficulty with the kit. At only ฟ shipped for the kit, I can't imagine that Ken is making any money on it whatsoever (unless he's paying far less for his PCBs than I am), so many thanks to him for offering this to FMS users!
Michael Guslick

Postby Vitaly » Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:24 am

From user's point of view, both interfaces are equal. Those have the similar signal mettering quality and the similar building complexity. My interface was published first, but it doesn't mean that it's "much better" than Ken's one. It's very difficult to reinvent the weel with so primitive device :)

Of cause, if you are not experienced in electronics, you'd better to buy a kit or an assembeld cable. Unfortunately, I don't supply any kits, because it's not my business. I did the cable design for fun, because I like FMS.

(Edited by Vitaly at 5:10 pm on Dec. 24, 2001)
Vitaly

Postby Ken Hewitt » Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:56 am

Actually this interface was original designed in 1993 for another RC sim but was never used by them, the design has been on my web site for about 3 years and I believe was found by Micheal and he asked me could it be included in FMS. At this point I did a redisgn of the hardware to make it easier for anyone to build.
Ken Hewitt[br][url]ken@welwyn.demon.co.uk[/url][br]
Ken Hewitt

Postby Vitaly » Wed Dec 26, 2001 5:33 am

Yes, Ken, I've seen the basic interface many years ago.

But I've spoken about redesigned version, which is really easy to build.
Vitaly

Postby helifan » Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:15 pm

Last night I downloaded FMS and it looks great especially if you keep in mind that it's - FREE!!!

Now I'm very eager to get an interface and hook up my Tx. The 3 axis joystick is already fun but, I believe, nothing compared with a real Tx. :)

I'm running WinXP Pro and my Tx is a Futaba FC28. Am I correct that I have to use the PIC serial interface? My impression is that the parallel interface doesn't work with WinXP anymore. I'm new to all this "homemade" sim subject and need some help from my fellow R/C buddies. :) .

Ken, your PIC interface kit for only USพ.95 looks like a great deal. Do you have a USB Interface (kit) too?

ATB,

Holger
Happy rotory,[br]Holger
helifan

Postby Ken Hewitt » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:19 pm

Sorry no the USB interface is only available as a ready built unit.
Ken Hewitt[br][url]ken@welwyn.demon.co.uk[/url][br]
Ken Hewitt

Postby helifan » Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:35 pm

Thanks Ken ..... then I'll go with the serial kit. Expect my order soon. :)
Happy rotory,[br]Holger
helifan

Postby d2tw4all » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:49 pm

Hi, I want to order your kit, I am sending you an email from d2tw4all@yahoo.com just so you know. I will pay by paypal I think.
D2.
d2tw4all

Postby Philm » Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:02 am

Agree,

Ken has done a fantastic job on this.
Kit is easy to assemble, very professional.
Under Windows XP, this is the best solution for FMS.

Philippe
Philippe
Philm

Postby d2tw4all » Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:46 pm

d2tw4all

Postby Jeroen » Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:20 am

This is a real great kit.
It took me only 1:30 from opening the kit till running the three dee in WINXP.

works like a champ
Jeroen

Postby skipton » Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:45 pm

Ken you mention a USB interface in one if the earlier posts, but I do not see this on your web site, do you sell a USP kit or completly assmebled version?
skipton

Postby skipton » Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:53 pm

Never mind found it at
Order soon.
skipton

Return to PIC Interface