[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - fms interface

fms interface

Postby bronxbombr » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:48 am

in the diagram that comes with fms what are the BC109 and BC179 and is there a similar component that i can use?
bronxbombr

Postby Steve Lewin » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:31 am

I'm not sure which interface you're building. I haven't seen a circuit with those components. But anyway they are small signal transistors, the BC109 is NPN and the BC179 is PNP but they are quite old. Any similar transistors with a gain of over 100 will be fine e.g. BC547, 2N5089 for the 109, BC557, 2N5087 for the 179. There are many others.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby bronxbombr » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:23 pm

thanks Steve.
bronxbombr

Postby bronxbombr » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:23 pm

ok here is the link to the PIC i am building>>>

Thanks Steve, I'm starting to understand it a bit, but can you or anyone tell me like really break it down and explain it to me, i know that for example 20k is a resistor but what about the 470R? what kind is that and can i use any NPN transitor instead of the BC179 and BC109, i have at my disposle PN2907 and MPS222A, and NPN 4148 any help is well appreciated.u can email or pm me, thanks guys
bronxbombr

Postby Steve Lewin » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:56 am

It sounds like you have almost no background in electronics so this project may be a bit ambitious. Let's start with the difficult part. Have you worked out how you are going to get the program loaded into the PIC microcontroller ? If you don't already have access to a PIC programmer that's something else you need to get/build before you even start on the PIC serial interface.

As I said only the BC109 is an *NPN* transistor, the BC179 is *PNP*. The two things are not interchangeable.

BTW 470R is a resistor, 470 ohms. 20K is a 20,000 ohm resistor.

It would be a lot easier to just buy an interface.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby bronxbombr » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:24 pm

i have the PIC programmer and the chips, also i do have some electronics knowledge cuz i built 2 PIC programmer prior to this. I dont want to purchase an interface when i can make one and being that this is way different from building PC's from scratch or debugging networks and stuff on computers. i would like to try it. I have the hex files as u call it and the chip to program with my programmer which programs most of the chips e.g. 16c84,16f84a,12c508, etc. I live in NYC and only place i can think of to get the parts is RadioShack. THanks again Steve(call me your pupil for now) :).
bronxbombr

Postby Steve Lewin » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:59 pm

Just look your transistors up and see which is npn and which pnp. Don't get them, the zener diode or C1 the wrong way round and you should be fine. I've only built a few of the original interfaces rather than Eric's modified version but it looks o.k. It will be important that you connect R5 in the correct position (to either +5V or ground) depending on what sort of transmitter you will be using as the notes say.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby bronxbombr » Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:25 am

can u send me a link to the original version, and i am going to use a futaba 4NBL radio on it ;)
bronxbombr

Postby Steve Lewin » Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:09 pm

If you downloaded FMS 2.07 you should already have the documentation for the original, it's in FMS/Doc/Interface but it's almost identical to the one you have. I'd stick with that.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby bronxbombr » Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:17 pm

tks alot :p :D
bronxbombr

Return to PIC Interface