Masive problems with Hitec and FMS interface

Masive problems with Hitec and FMS interface

Postby Talon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:29 am

Hey guys perhaps someone can help me here.

I have tried both a Hitec laser 6 and a Hitec Eclipse 7 and have the same results. This is also on two seperate computers.

I have built and attempted the inteface as in this link:
http://www.heliguy.com/nexus/fmsinterface.html
and I kind of works but as soon as I turn the power on my radio, there is a big buzzing noise from my computer and the monitor is all staticky. Furthermore, the FMS is not running smooth (when the radio is on) and the models are twitchy, jumpy. This happens with both radios as soon as the radio is on.

I have also tried the audio connection with PPJoy and SmartProPlus on two computers. I get an extremely noisy signal (tried varying the volume with no luck). The PPM Thermometer shows movement of the red bars when sticks are moved on the transmitter but it jumps all the time. Winscope also shows noise and jumping. In FMS I ge the modesl to jump/twitch...and the only channel that works at all is the rudder...

I think I have tried everything and did everything by the book. I have made two interface cables LPT1 and Audio and neither works for me. I see that the wiring for the Hitec and Futaba radios is the same is this really correct?

Any help would be greately appreciated.....

By the way I'm running windows XP PPJoy and SmartProplus
Talon

Postby shaul_eiz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:32 am

You seem to describe a noisy input. This may be caused by many reasons. Are you sure you have a correct cable? Please describe your cable.
Did you try to connect it to both Microphone and Line-In sockets?
shaul_eiz

Postby Talon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:56 pm

I have tried both the Line in and Mic in on the audio cable. Those unfortunately do not work at all exept for the rudder channel as I described. The signal is extremely noisy as you describe. The second cable I made was one that connects to the LPT1 (printer port) this is the one that makes massive buzzing noise on the computer when the radio is turned on and is extremely twitchy in FMS. I'm pretty sure I made the cables correctly since I have went over them numerous times and checked as many sites as I could find to double check the connections for the Hitec radio. All sites showed the same connection as on the SmartProPlus site..

I'm baffled at all this....... Two computers, two transmitters and the same results on both..... What am I doing wrong or what can I try?
Talon

Postby Steve Lewin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:04 pm

Yes Futaba and Hitec use the same basic connections.

Is your cable screened ? Are you sure you have the ground connected to the metal shell of the 6-pin DIN plug ? Signal definitely connected to pin 2 (2nd from left looking at the solder side of the plug) ? No accidental solder bridges to any other pins ?

The only time I've had symptoms like that is when I lost the ground connection or accidently connected signal to pin 3.

BTW you do realise that you shouldn't have PPJoy loaded when you're using SmartPropoPlus in audio mode ?

Steve
Steve Lewin

Postby Talon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:21 am

All the connections are good and as per the drawing.

What do you mean that PPJoy should not be loaded when using smartproplus in audio mode? On their website it says that it needs to be installed first and the two work together....

What am I missing here?

Here are the insturctions I followed....one for generic, not just FMS...

http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp
Talon

Postby Steve Lewin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:06 am

PPJoy is not needed with SmartPropoPlus for FMS though you will need it if you really want to use the parallel port interface on XP rather than a simple audio lead.

No doubt Shaul can tell you more but the one time I tried using both together I had all sorts of odd problems so I got rid of PPJoy, used SPP on its own and I've never seen any problems since.

Steve
Steve Lewin

Return to Joystick-Interface