[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - More Joy! - Another solution.

More Joy! - Another solution.

Postby Eagle Al » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:27 pm

Some 25 years ago, I bought a CH Mach I joystick. Here is a picture of it:

As you can see, it's a 2-axis 2-button joystick. Also it's a diminutive unit that very closely approximates the size of a typical TX’s stick. I can also tell you its movement and feel are very similar.

Recently, I had the opportunity to pick up another one on EBay for only a dollar! Now if I could hook the two together, I would have a 4-axis 4-button unit to emulate a TX’s sticks.

To do this, I needed two additional items. The first a gameport splitter:

And the other, a DB-15 to USB cable. WWW.CableGuyUSA.com has a very nice unit:

Now hook the two joysticks to the splitter cable and then plug the splitter into the above unit. Finally plug the unit into a USB port. Make sure you put the unit on setting three.

Fire up your computer and open up Gaming Options (Start-> Control Panel-> Gaming Options). You should see in the Gaming Option's window: 4-axis 4-button joystick. If you don't, unplug the USB connector and re-plug it in. The rest of the setup should be familiar: Calibrate the sticks in Gaming Options and FMS (under analog).

This is a really sweet setup. It works perfectly, and feels identical to an R/C Tx. You don't have to worry about Tx batteries, some complicated interface, or damaging your Tx (you might drop it in your excitement or damage the RF section). The cost was very reasonable. The splitter, the DB-15 to USB unit, and the Mach I was around $20.

Finally I need to add one important item. To vary the engine speed without holding the stick, you'll need to disable the tension on the throttle axis. To do this, push down and lock the small square box on its axis.

Al :cool:
Eagle Al

Postby Eagle Al » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:42 am

BTW, I'm using Ver 2.0 Alpha 8.5 which works flawlessly without the hint of a hickup!

Al :D
Eagle Al

Postby Eagle Al » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:03 pm

I also wanted to mention a couple other items after using the interface for a couple of weeks. First, only two buttons are seen by Gaming Options, but this isn't important since FMS doesn't use them. Next some models don't recognize or aren't programmed for Rudder input. For example the Ultra Stick 40 isn't while the SU-26 is. Some models can be steered around on the ground 360 degrees, but others only a few degrees either side of straight ahead.

All in all I really like this setup even with the mostly useless Rudder stick due to its compact size.

Al :cool:
Eagle Al

Return to Joystick-Interface