Is there documentation on how to use FMS

Is there documentation on how to use FMS

Postby jazzman0755 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm

I am a beginner and just dowloaded and opened the FMS; how do I start it up? Is there a documentation sheet that explains how to run it, or at least a "cheat sheet" for the key controls? Thanks
jazzman0755

Re: Is there documentation on how to use FMS

Postby Steve Lewin » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:11 am

You start it by double-clicking on the desktop icon. Using it with keyboard is not ideal but the list of keyboard controls can be found in the top menu - Controls then Keyboard. On that same top menu Models/Load (press F2) lets you load a different plane/heli. The other most useful command is Simulation/Initialise (or press I) which gets you back to the runway ready to fly again after a crash/landing.

There isn't much more to it ;).

Steve
Steve Lewin

Re: Is there documentation on how to use FMS

Postby KEW » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Keyboard commands:

I have not been able to fly anything but the very slowest planes using the keyboard controls. I recommend that you use an analog controller or a R/C transmitter with a computer interface.

There are a few more keys that can be used to change your point of view:

2 = zoom out
8 = zoom in
4 = look right
6 = look left
3 = look up
9 = look down
c = toggles between R/C mode and chase mode
a = puts your height and speed in the top left corner of the screen

The six numbered commands are useful for looking around a new scene to get your bearings before flying in it. You can spot landmarks that will allow you to line up with the runway as you approach to land.

These will only work with the standard scenes. Most Photorealistic scenes are made to have a fixed point of view to keep the graphics optically correct.

There are several other key commands, but I can't remember them because I never use them.

Experiment with the contents of the drop-down menus at the top of the screen until you get the best results for the scene you are using, e.g. fog, smoothing, resolution, etc.

Happy flying,

KEW
KEW

Return to General Discussions