[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Image Mapping

Image Mapping

Image Mapping

Postby lowglow » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:14 am

Does anyone here know how to map a texture onto a model?
lowglow

Postby ggunners » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:24 am

You'll find links to tutorials for Metasequoia LE in the models section of the FMS Forum.

-- ggunners
ggunners

Postby lowglow » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:22 pm

Yep Thanks for that ggunners, I have read them all and many more I have also come across a bunch of people on the net making charactors for Tomb Raider and a paper car forum that are using meta aswell read them all.
But I am still having some problems but its strange, I have built a model of an Avro 539 Falcon, and have spent the last two days tareing my hair out trying to get the Texture to map, in the end I gave up.
Now today I thought I will just give it another go and now it works fine, I am not doing anything different, it seems to happen a bit, some days it will map fine and other days it just won't.
I also have a problem with Meta shutting down when you try to insert an object and also when you use save as if you don't click quick it just shuts down!!!!!!!!!!!
I have built the following models since I sent you the Greatplanes Dazzler to look at, I am very pleased with them all.
Sopwith Pup on floats
Hanger9 Alpha 40 trainer on floats
Seamaster
AT40 Trainer.
The only think I seem to have troble with is the texture mapping some days???????????
lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi lowglow,

if you'd like to have some advice, you need to give a description of the problem you have. "Texture mapping problems" is too vague, because they are manifold - What did you want to acchieve, What did you do, what went wrong, etc.

Kind regards,
Frank
TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:57 pm

lowglow

Postby lowglow » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:58 pm

lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi lowglow,

in a nutshell: don't push the UV button, because it resets your mapping to default values. The UV button is meant to initialize rather than finish the texture coordinates. When you have finished scaling and positioning the texture, simply unselect the faces you were working on and you're done.

Sadly, the texture mapping tool of metasequoia have degraded from version 2.1 on. Since the newly introduced modelling tools in 2.3 are mostly useless for technical modeling, it's best to stick with meta 2.1 . The UV button is not present in the 2.1 interface, and it would be useless, because whenever you hit the "map"-button, UV-coordinates will be created.

Everything else in your workflow should be working fine.

Kind regards,
Frank
TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:19 pm

So how come in all of the tutorials I have read it says to finish by selecting the UV button before you unselect the part you have mapped the texture to and on every mqo file that I have looked at in the Material Property box the Projection method is set to UV not Flat?
lowglow

Postby Kevinator_9 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:22 pm

That's help me. I will change to 2.1
Kevinator_9

Postby lowglow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:33 pm

Read Here
And this
Before Closing the mapping dialog( by selecting another command like select)
you should click the UV icon to change the mapping to UV coordinates. There is a good reason for this. If you leave the mapping in Plane mode (or any mode other than UV), when you move, rotate or scale the mapped surface, the face will move leaving the texture behind. Try it.

Of course if you was in a hurry and forgot to set the mapping to UV, don't panic. You can always go into the materials property dialouge and set the projection method from flat to UV.

UV mode allows you to move, rotate and scale the selection without losing the position the texture was in.
Although if you move a vertex in the plane, you will squash the texture.

Was taken from here
lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 pm

TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:21 pm

lowglow

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:27 am

TreeHugger

Postby lowglow » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:15 pm

lowglow

Return to General Discussions