[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Can I use an Art-Tech transmitter with Windows98?

Can I use an Art-Tech transmitter with Windows98?

Can I use an Art-Tech transmitter with Windows98?

Postby chris1379 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:19 am

I have been flying FMS with a Saitek game controller but just got an Art-Tech Cessna and would like to use the transmitter. I have tried several versions of Winmm.dll in the fms folder but I get no response at all. The transmitter is connected to the line input and I hear sound from it. It also shows up in windows sound recorder but is not shown in fms under the joystick or . Is there a tutorial on setting this up under Win98 or will it even work?

Thanks,
Chris
chris1379

Postby shaul_eiz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:15 am

Hi Chris,
I never tried using SmartPropoPlus under Win98 but I see no reason why it should not work. Which versions did you try?
Did you use the tools I recommend in the troubleshooting section?
Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby chris1379 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am using SmartPropoPlus_2.3.0 on FMS beta8.5 but I have tried other versions of the original Smartpropo as well as FMS beta 7. I see registry entries for smartpropo plus but no icon shows up in the systray when fms is started and no joystick shows up in fms joystick resources. It's as if fms doesn't recognize the DLL. I can't find the troubleshooting section you are talikng about. If you can point me to it, I'll gladly look there first.

Chris
chris1379

Postby phildc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Look at:

Phil.
phildc

Postby shaul_eiz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:40 pm

The Win98 systray is slightly different from that of the Win2K/XP so I'm not shocked. However, the original SmartPropo did work with Win98, so I'd start with this.
Did you place the DLL in the FMS directory? If you have a Visual Studio, you can use the "Dependency walker" to verify that FMS indeed takes the correct DLL.
Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby chris1379 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:20 pm

I can run the console manually and the console is in the systray. However, the console says SmartpropoPlus is off. The DLL is in the fms directory but there are also some winmm.dlls in the fms/bin directory for 4 different transmitters. There is also a Microsoft winm.dll in the c:/windows/system dir. Maybe fms chooses the wrong one. Is there a way to make it choose the right one? Maybe the one in Windows is left from my Saitek controller. Thanks for the help.
chris1379

Postby shaul_eiz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:40 pm

OK. I now have a better view of the problem.
FMS.EXE takes the winmm.dll that is the same directory it is in. If it does not find it there, it goes to the original file by Microsoft.
Please remove or rename all winmm.dll files from this directory but the one you intend to use.
Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby chris1379 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:19 am

I'm not at the computer in question right now but I will try that when I get home. This raises some questions. I tried renaming winmm.dll in Windows/system but I got a message that it was in use by Windows. Is that normal? Can 2 instances of winmm.dll be in use at the same time; one by Windows and the other by FMS?

Chris
chris1379

Postby shaul_eiz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:20 am

You have probably tried to rename the original winmm.dll which resides in the system directory. Luckily, this one could not be changed as it is used by other applications.
However, an application that needs a specific dll file, including FMS, looks for it (by name) first in its current directory, and then, if not there, in the system directory. SmartPropo & later SmartPropoPlus inserts a replacement winmm.dll in the FMS current directory, forcing FMS to use it rather than the original one.
If there is no winmm.dll in the FMS current directory, or its file name is altered, FMS uses the original winmm.dll which means that SmartPropoPlus does not start.
I hope this is clearer now.
Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby chris1379 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:24 am

Well, I think I've tried everything now. FMS just doesn't look for winmm.dll in the fms directory. I even uninstalled everything and deleted the registry entries. It must be a Win98 thing. The original Smartpropo author had a WDM version for Win98 that has a dead link now. I guess I'll just have to buy a sim controller on ebay. Thanks for all the help.

Chris
chris1379

Postby shaul_eiz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:30 am

Sorry to learn that. I can't see why FMS will not look in the current directory.
I do have the original WDM version so if you want I can send it to you. Please send me a private message with your email address.

Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby phildc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:47 pm

I can hardly believe that smartpropo plus is not working under Win 98.
I notice that from the beginning, there were trials with several versions of fms and of smartpropo, which can put a real mess, but I also read that a full re-install was done recently. I would suggest to carefully and slowly re-do and re-check the whole installation process, taking the parts from a secure source.
Please do also report what was the result with the troubleshooting advices.

Phil.
phildc

Postby shaul_eiz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi Phil,
I also feel that there is some error here, but I never tested this software of W98, so maybe there is a problem.
BTW, do you know what is the W98 DLL search path? Or better, do you have a W98 installation somewhere to test SPP for Chris?
Thank you!
Shaul
shaul_eiz

Postby phildc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:59 pm

Will check what I can do on my old 98 (it's my favorite PC: development, mail, aso), but I use a faster XP for the sims.

Phil.
phildc

Postby phildc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Bad news, took an old Beta 7 FMS still present on this portable PC that runs 98. It has NO game port. FMS is running.
Tried smartpropo plus 2.0.3 and 2.0.1.
With both I had 'No joystick' when I opened the FMS analog interface panel.
The PPM stick (thermometer) is ok.

Phil.
phildc

Next

Return to Joystick-Interface