[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Can FMS be used by a one handed person?

Can FMS be used by a one handed person?

Can FMS be used by a one handed person?

Postby Ginger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi -
I'm asking this question for my father, who loved flying RC planes until his stroke about 5 years ago. He's wheelchair bound, and totally paralyzed on his right side. He still gets his RC plane magazines and catalogs, and came across an RC flight simulator program lately - he wants to try it out. I'm worried that he can't use the radio controllers supplied with most of these programs, as he only has the use of his left hand, so I asked some questions, and was directed to this program. I've tried searching through the forums for answers, but I don't know enough about this program to make sense of what I'm reading. Can you all help me decide if this program would be usable for him?

Is is possible to fly planes in FMS with one joystick? I notice that some people use two joysticks, but that's not possible in this situation.

If so, is there a joystick that you'd recommend? Dad has a fairly new laptop, and uses it a lot.

Is there any tricks to setting up the joystick and the program? I'm pretty computer literate when it comes to installing programs and calibrating controls, but I can't write code. My thought is to first set up the program on my computer, work out the bugs, then set it up for my dad.

Any help and advice you could give would be apprieciated; it would certainly give my dad some joy to be able to fly again.

Thanks
Ginger

Postby aeropal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:04 pm

If he has reasonably good left-hand fingertip dexterity, a controller like the Esky (link below) should work. A "Mode 1" configuration would put the dominant elevator & rudder (or aileron) functions on the left stick, with the throttle on the right stick. You may have to open up the controller to change over the throttle detent ratchet and gimbal springs . . most of these units sold in the USA are configured as "Mode 2" (left stick throttle). .

Many sailplane would not need throttle control . . just press the keyboard "R" key for hand launch, or "W" key for winch launch.

If you already have a 2-stick gamepad controller, that could be used as a trial setup for the .
-
aeropal

Postby Lindsay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:22 am

I use a mode 2 transmitter and it would be a breeze to use it one-handed. What I would do is stretch the left hand over to the right stick so that the important controls, elevator and ailerons, are at hand. The throttle can be easily actuated with the heel of the hand and if your dad wants to input rudder control that can also be done with the heel.

So go for it and it is really nice to see you wanting to help your father like this.

FMS is free and people here will help if you need some guidance.
Lindsay

Return to Joystick-Interface